Upset stomach

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nicdhoward

Upset stomach

Post by nicdhoward »

My 10 month old Patterdale has had an upset stomach since Sunday afternoon. However, his behaviour in general has not changed and he still has a good appetite and is keen to play and exercise. I am just becoming a bit concerned because it doesnt seem to be improving - since Sunday I have been feeding him boiled rice for breakfast and dinner as this has worked in the past with my other dog. I also found vomit in the kitchen yesterday morning but I cannot be sure which dog this came from! The vomit did not worry me too much as both my dogs enjoy eating grass etc that they find in the garden and can sometimes vomit as a result of this! But his upset stomach is starting to worry me.

Could anyone please advise on how I might be able to help his digestive system get back to normal?

runlikethewind

Re: Upset stomach

Post by runlikethewind »

Hello Nic

I'm not an expert first of all.. but it depends what route you want to take. If you went to the vets, I'm sure they'd give you something like kaolin powder and have him on chicken and rice until it settles. Are you doing the chicken? If you are more into natural stuff, then you could try a slippery elm bark gruel. Recipe here http://www.anniesherbals.com/Getting%20started.html or you can buy one ready made up here http://www.greenark.co.uk/supplements.html but I wouldn't use milk (dairy...) to mix it with. The pup has to go through picking up bacteria and viruses etc to build its immune system. If he is well in himself, then it sounds like a passing bug.
nicdhoward

Post by nicdhoward »

Thanks for responding so quickly. I also thought it may just be a passing bug, but I didnt expect him to still have it. Bless him!

I have only been feeding him rice, which he is happy to eat because he will eat anything!... Should I be giving him some cooked chicken also? Is that known to help?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

It is not clear to me what exactly is going on here, is he vomiting only when he eats? Is he vomiting mucos? Is he vomiting any sort of pink or reddish tinged matter? Can you provide a little more detail please? Also don't work the stomach harder with a protein until you can stop the vomitting.
nicdhoward

Post by nicdhoward »

He has actually only vomitted once.... and that was in the morning when he hadnt eaten for about 10hrs. I cannot even be sure this was him as it could have very well been my other dog who sleeps in the kitchen with him. The vomit basically consisted of his dinner from the previous evening (rice) - it was not reddish in colour and did not contain bile. It is more his diarrhoea that is concerning me.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Ok then, here is the list of questions I would be asking myself, the big threat here is dehydration. Did this dog ingest something (household cleaner, lawn or pest spray?) 2. Has the vomitting/diarreha gotten worse, stayed the same? Is your dog routinely tested for parasites? (yes, worms can have this effect on dogs) Is your dog current on vaccinations? I can't see your dog from here, so I don't know if he is losing weight, lethargic, or what his stools look like. This could be something as simple as parasites, or it could be something as serious as a tumor. I think I would probably take my dog in to the vet.