Kibble on weekends away?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Kibble on weekends away?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I was wondering if it would be a VERY BAD idea to feed Striker & Bibi kibble on weekends away - when we go camping / hunting, that sort of thing.

The reason I ask is this. It's always a mission to keep the raw meaty bones and the veggie mix frozen for the whole weekend, especially if we go somewhere where there's no electricity (the no electricity is H's "thing" :roll: ).

I did some research on kibble (and on kibble available not only in South Africa, but close to where I stay - I'm very far from the major cities). The *best* quality I can find in my town and the surrounding towns is Vet's Choise and Hills. Now, I do know that those are still not considered as high quality kibble, but it is really the best I can find where I stay.

So do you think it's okay to give them kibble (Vet's Choice or Hills) on weekends like that? We don't go on these "expeditions" often though, say about one weekend every two or three months.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: Kibble on weekends away?

Post by Nettle »

You have to go with what is possible, but in your position I'd be looking at anything else before kibble. Can you get dried meat or tinned meat? How do you manage your own food?

Tinned fish in tomato sauce (not brine) would be a healthy option.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Re: Kibble on weekends away?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oooh, that's a good idea - I didn't even think about tinned food.

Thanx Nettle! :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams