U.S. Lepto outbreak

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

josie1918

U.S. Lepto outbreak

Post by josie1918 »

This is included in a dhlpp or dhlppc (most people call them a distemper shot) but if any of you have recently aquired a dog and aren't sure if it is vaccinated here is a good reason it should be.

Vets Report Outbreak Of Pet Infection
Disease Reported In Warren, Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Eastpointe

POSTED: Monday, August 23, 2010
UPDATED: 8:31 am EDT August 24, 2010

EASTPOINTE, Mich. -- An outbreak of a potentially fatal infection in animals has prompted metro Detroit veterinaries to urge owners to get their pets vaccinated.

Leptospirosis, a contagious bacterial infection, has been reported in Roseville, St. Clair Shores, Warren and Eastpointe.

Watch: Bacterial Infection Killing Metro Detroit Pets

Vets in those cities attribute the sudden rise in the disease to road construction in the Interstate 696 and Interstate 94 area . The vets explained that the construction displaces rats, which carry the bacteria in their urine. The rats spread out once above ground, making their way into the paths of pets.

Michelle Dahl said her 3-year-old Maltipoo, Maximo, was more than just a pet.

"My husband and I couldn't have children of our own. So, he was our baby," she said.

Dahl said Maximo was happy and healthy until something dramatically changed over the course of 24 hours.

"He was just lethargic. He just wanted to lie down," she said.

Six days later, Maximo died.

"He died in my husband's arms," Dahl said.

Dahl said their vet's conclusion was that Maximo had died from Leptospirosis.

The East Detroit Animal Hospital on Gratiot Avenue in Eastpointe has posted signs, warning pet owners to check their pet's vaccination records.

The animal hospital said they've recorded five cases of the disease in the last couple of months -- normally they see that number in an entire year.

"If anybody can save their dog, I know Maximo did not die in vain," Dahl said.

The vaccination costs around $20 and is given twice in an initial dose and must be given once a year after that.
Nettle

Re: U.S. Lepto outbreak

Post by Nettle »

There's some important information that would be worth checking, Josie, if you have your ear to the ground here.

There are over 20 types of lepto. There are three types that are common in UK - obviously it's different where you are.

Here comes the cruncher:

Only vaccine available over here is for two of the three varieties. This information comes from my vet.

How is it where you are?

Might this possibly be a story cooked up to get people to rush to their vets and vaccinate with a vaccine that isn't going to work?

The reason this is so serious is that most of the reported serious vaccine reactions come from lepto vaccine.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

our vaccines cover most of the seriological types of the bacteria, however, bacteria being bacteria seems to always be branching out with new, or different strains. The problem we have here is that it gets into our wildlife and while we virtually erradicate strains such as L.icterohaemorrhagie and L.canicola in canines, others pop up in the wildlife and then infect our dogs.
The mortality rate over here is a little over 10%. It does affect humans, cattle etc. as well as canines. The disease is shed in the urine of the affected animal, and can then be spread by ingestion (always wash your fruit and vegetables!)
It is a major vaccination reaction element over here as well.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thanks Josie :D I knew I could count on you.

I asked my Dr. about lepto vaccine for people (because I keep working dogs and we are all constantly exposed to it) and he said there is no human vaccine and lepto is "very rare". :roll:

Yeah, right.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS