Eating poo!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kaz4t

Eating poo!!

Post by kaz4t »

YUK YUK YUK

my darling sweet puppy has started eating poo, her own or somebody elses ie when we are out, she is not that fussy !! the leave it command is working when we are out and it belongs to someone else but with her own or her sisters she just grabs it and yomps ! !

We feed them BARF, Canine country, 250g, plus half as much puppy mince and sometimes a veggie mix. They get this twice a day at 7:30 am and 7ish pm Sometimes we give them puppy mince and a tin of sardines in oil and sometimes they get a turkey wing or a couple of necks instead of the BARF meal.

They are 8.5 months old and weigh around 17kg

Thier routine has changed a little as they are now left on thier own for longer periods due to my dog sitter going and getting a proper job (how very selfish of him!)

Monday was the first time they were left for 7 hours straight on thier own. Up until now the longest has been 5 hours usually less or not at all as I work from home quite a bit but Mondays will always be a long day away from home.

They get a 20 min walk in the morning at 6am fed around 7:30, 8am, a walk (if I am working at home)at lunch time and then separate walks around 5:30 when hubby gets home, fed again after we have eaten around 7:30, 8pm.

Tonight I lost it and shouted when she brought it inside, a bit cold out tonight! and I found her eating it on the rug, I shouted and told them to go to bed, which they did, into thier crates.

poor pup does not know what she has done wrong and I can't tell her I am sorry, I feel so bad :0(
ChubbyPuppy74

Re: Eating poo!!

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Make sure you are picking up the poop daily so she has no chance to eat it. If not Try this... The poop of the dog will taste nasty and she probably won't eat it :? .

Add two to four tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the food bowl each day. Pumpkin apparently tastes good in food, but repugnant when expelled in excrement.

Add a spoon (teaspoon or tablespoon depending on the dog's size) of canned pineapple, pineapple juice or spinach to the dog's food.
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Please will you tell us about the "they" in your post? I assume from that you have other dogs - we need to know about these so we can help you more.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
kaz4t

Post by kaz4t »

Sorry Nettle

They are 8 and a half month old Springer spaniel puppies, both bitches and we have had they since they were 8 weeks old.

Every thing is going really well, apart from the poo eating, they sit and stay well, wait at the door to have thier feet wiped on a towel when it has been raining, walk quite well loose leash and come when called (still working on that one but progressing well)

Last week, which was more or less when the poo eating seems to have started or at least been more noticable I was adding a mix of pumpkin, sweet potatoe and carrot to thier BARF. it was fresh veg that had been part cooked and then mashed up. Sometimes the veg mix has broccoli and spinach in it, this is not cooked just blitzed into the carrot, sweet potatoe and pumpkin.

poo has always been picked up regularly at least daily but we are now picking it up as soon as it hits the ground.

Tonight we fed them, son brought bowls in to the house, I said to him just have a look and see whats going on and there was Winnie eating poo, which could not have been on the ground more than a few min if that !!

I will try the pineapple thing and see if that works.

Thanks for replies