Another Foot Problem! This has not been my month

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

Another Foot Problem! This has not been my month

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

First it was Mia then it was duke and now it's cookie's turn. They all have/had foot problems. It has not been my month. A terrible month.

Well here's the story, I was on my walk with cookie and mia, went up to the park to play. They played on the playground seemed like nothing was wrong. While i was walking home i noticed her right back paw was bleeding. I rushed home to help her. When i got all the blood off i saw nothing. I did not see the nail! I finally found this tiny little piece of her nail. Just sitting there. I has finally stopped bleeding after a half hour of bleeding. Anyways she has like no nail left! Just a tiny left of it. What am i suppose to do. It's quite late now and now near by vets open. Plus again my parents say put hydrogen stuff on it. But she did mention no vet offices were open, so i don't know if she is willing to take her. But i saw on a website on how to stop bleeding and it says not to put it on there because it will cause it to again bleed. So should i have my mom take her to the vet?? I will try to take a picture of it.

*Edit*
I believe it's down to the quick.
Attachments
DSC07363-2.jpg
DSC07363-2.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
DSC07365-1.jpg
DSC07365-1.jpg (56.31 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
DSC07364-1.jpg
DSC07364-1.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Nettle

Re: Another Foot Problem! This has not been my month

Post by Nettle »

Absolutely nothing to worry about. I deal with these frequently, as I have working dogs and our local land has a lot of flint.

Soak the foot in salt water for 10 minutes (seems forever when you are doing it) twice a day for four days. You can usefully add two drops of tea tree oil to the solution for the first two days only. If you want to see a vet, do so. Antibiotics are an option, but nail injuries are quite awkward, and I recommend you discuss the use of an anaerobic antibiotic rather than a standard one.

If you suspect an infection or the place gets warm, swells, smells funny or goes a strange colour, you need to get to the vet. Watch that injury carefully for two weeks. Don't bandage as the heat will cause bacteria to multiply and then infection is inevitable. Exercise on a lead and bathe the foot in salt water afterwards. Let the dog lick the wound as much as it wants to.

None of my advice should be taken as telling you not to see a vet. Do go if you have the slightest worry. I don't but that's because I've been dealing with injuries like this for a very long time, but I know what to look for.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS