coughing

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

woodster

coughing

Post by woodster »

hi. i have posted before about my dog but just to remind you he is an 8 month old cavalier king charles. he has recently started to develop a sort of cough. about 3/4 weeks ago he was vacinated for kennel cough before staying at kennels for two weeks while we were on holiday. we checked out the kennels beforehand and they were very clean and each enclosure was cleaned daily. his cough started about a week ago i think and it sounds almost as if there is something stuck in his throat. is this worth checking out or is it something that sometimes happens after vacination?

thanks for reading and i'd appreciate any advice you can give me :)
Zeldacorgi

Re: coughing

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Go ahead and take him to the vet. It's very possible that even with the vaccination he may have kennel cough. Or something else. It's worth having a vet look into it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, I agree, possibly is just kennel cough but sometimes a cough can be a symptom of other things so best to get him fully checked over.

When you make the appointment, tell the surgery it might be kennel cough and then you should be able to get the last appointment that session, as kennel cough is horribly contagious and nobody wants to sit next to it in a waiting room.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
woodster

Post by woodster »

the cough started before he went to the kennels a few days after he got the vacination. we'll get him checked over anyway. he seems to be improving a bit though. :D
thanks for your replies guys! i'd be lost without this forum
woodster

Post by woodster »

just a bit of an update. i took your advice and phoned the vet and they were able to give me a bit of a consultation over the phone. they said that if it wasa viral thing caused by the vacination it should really be gone within about 3 weeks. if its not gone by the weekend we should bring him in as it could be another strain of kennel cough that was "dormant in him" and triggered by the injection.

in the meantime we should give him some honey during the day and some cough syrup at night.

thanks again for your advice, hopefully he'll be back on his feet in no time :D
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Let us know what happens. :-)
woodster

Post by woodster »

Cough is all gone! No need for the trip to the vets after all. I'll keep an eye on him just to be sure but at the minute he's back to his mischievious self :lol: