Heartworm Prevention

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Heartworm Prevention

Post by Fundog »

Now that we've moved to an area with several lakes, ponds, springs, streams, etc., we need to worry more about mosquitos-- and thusly, heartworm. Likewise, even though I haven't seen any evidence of fleas, ticks are more prevalent here as well. So Mr. Fundog got each of the girls a flea/tick collar today. But the collars don't do anything about mosquitos. I am a bit leery about giving my girls a monthly dose of Ivermectin (the anti-parasitic drug in heartworm treatments). How do y'all feel about giving your dogs this drug on a regular basis? Is there anything else I can safely use that would actually repel mosquitos from biting in the first place? Are there any herbs I could use that would be safer and equally effective?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Heartworm Prevention

Post by Nettle »

Are heartworm vectors present all year round? Maybe you could stop the monthly meds in winter. And what is the length of life cycle of the worms? Perhaps you could take longer intervals before worming.

I too am not happy with Ivermectin - it does a good job but it's a lot of chemical. And it's fatal to collies and collie types.

There's quite a bit you can do to repel mozzies, but that will mean some still get through.

I hope someone with more knowledge than I have of this parasite can help you. Sadly it won't be anyone with a financial interest in selling the meds.

What does your vet say?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Fundog, I don't know what to tell you about this. It seems that heartworm is prevalent year-round where I live and I don't have much of a choice if I want to protect Karma from heartworms. I HATE using any type of chemical, but I'll do anything and everything to protect my dog from heartworms.

Right now, I have Karma on milbemycin oxime which is made by Interceptor (a product of Novartis Animal Health) I got from my vet. It's a broad spectrum parasiticide that not only protects against heartworms, but hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms.

If you can't find a more natural, safer product, please let us know! Otherwise, check with your vet and see if they'll prescribe this product for you. It cost me $50 for a twelve-pack in which you give your dog one pill a month. It may sound a bit steep in cost, but it is worthwhile in the long run, because heartworm (or any other parasite) disease is very expensive to cure your dog once it has it! :shock:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Well I've done a little bit of research on herbal preventatives and treatments for hearworm and the mosquitos that carry it. Monday I will be calling our new vet, to see what he recommends. Meanwhile, I thought I would share what I've found so far: Mugwort and Wormwood are the strongest herbal treatments and prevention, along with black walnut and spearmint. It was also recommended to use tea tree oil and lavender oil on the dog's coat to help repel the mosquitos. (Funny, in my previous home I actually grew both lavender and spearmint! I wonder if it had any effect I wasn't aware of?) Like I said, I will be calling the vet on Monday, and considering whatever he has to say, I may be acquiring some of these herbs for my dogs-- it certainly won't hurt them, or cause adverse side effects, like the actual Ivermectin does!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Tea tree oil is much too strong to use directly on a dog. I promise you I really do know about Aromatherapy.

Wormwood is very dodgy in the wrong doses - it is abortifacient and has a number of other scary effects including mental disturbances. Should never be used except under the direction of a veterinary herbalist.

I know nothing about mugwort or black walnut (is that black cohosh? Liver toxic if so). However, it is a good rule of thumb to consider that most herbs that kill parasites are very very strong, because parasites have evolved to live off hosts and it takes the plant equivalent of an atom bomb to break the link.

Spearmint is okay in low doses, so is lavender, but consider the effect the strong smells have on an animal with the sense of smell a dog has. I would say don't use on the coat but on the environment eg as a room diffuser, so the dog can leave if the smell is too much for it.

I'm not raining on your parade. I really admire your exploring of these alternatives. I'm saying that these potions have the potential to be as dangerous as drugs. At least the side-effects of the drugs are known, and the dosage intricately calculated.

Dorwest Herbs produce herbal treatment that is licensed for veterinary use, and they have a website with a good enquiry service. Also try CSJ to see if their repellent herb mixture Billy No Mates is available in USA. I have used both companies' products very successfully, and my vet is perfectly happy with them.

You could investigate Verm-X. I have no personal experience of their products but worth a look.

Diatomaceous earth can be used on the coat, in the environment and in the food, to kill worms and other parasites, which it does by scraping off their skins and leg (where present), so they can't develop to breed and their eggs don't hatch. It is very safe and I use it.

Otherwise it might be grit your teeth, use the meds, and get your vet to advise on herbal organ support to run alongside e.g. milk thistle tablets to support the liver.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, I'll keep noodling. Thanks Nettle.

As for using a room diffuser, the mosquitos don't usually make it inside the house. It's outdoors near the lakes, ponds, and streams (there is a canal right across the street from our front yard) that I'm most worried about. I figure if I can prevent the mosquitos from biting in the first place, then they can't deposit any parasites. Like I said, I'll keep noodling, and I will def. be calling the vet on Monday-- well Tuesday, since I have to work Monday. :?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

You might want to talk to your vet about a new product called Vectra 3D. It repels flies, fleas, mosquitos, as well as ticks.
I have been using it on Sam all summer and have not found 1 creature on him, we go way out into the wooded wilderness type areas, he also has not had any problems being out all day in pasture hay for over a week now.
As far as heartworm goes, there just isn't anything in my opinion that works as well as ivermectin for heartworm protection. I don't know if this will make you feel more comfortable or not, but this drug has been used safely on livestock as a wormer for as long as I can remember. I think the choice to treat year round or not depends on where you live, but do be aware that for the 40 below it gets in the winter where I live, I brought in some wood for the fireplace and low and behold a mosquito was in the wood, alive and well :x
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Found a company called Springtime Inc. and they make a product called Bug Off Garlic. It comes in tablets or loose dried garlic granules. I haven't personally used it so maybe someone else could chime in about this product. Not so sure about giving a dog garlic, but the site says that you would have to give way more than what they prescribe for it to do any damage. Here's the link: http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bu ... lic_d/dogs
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

I came across this today while price checking for heartworm meds. Don't know if its of interest or not, but wanted to pass it along. http://www.petco.com/product/111985/Onl ... SiteSearch