She won't stop chewing her feet

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wicket

She won't stop chewing her feet

Post by Wicket »

Daily, my Poodle will chew her front paws until she creates these red spots, sometimes pulling out hair. I've eliminated corn/wheat/soy based food from her diet and she's still does it. I've make sure she's bathed and brushed out regularly to remove any environmental allergens or mats that might be causing her discomfort. She'll go through her biting ritual before she sleeps so I've been wondering if this self-abuse is a coping mechanism, a way of calming down.

What should I do?
josie1918

Re: She won't stop chewing her feet

Post by josie1918 »

Wicket, I have never seen front paw licking/chewing in a canine unless it involved a food allergy. Dogs can be allergic to almost anything, while you have eliminated the more notorious offenders, it does take a full 30 days for food to cycle through a dogs body, so you may not see results as quickly as you might think. Also some other offenders that are climbing the ranks quickly are dairy products, fish, soy products,eggs and beet pulp. Hope this helps.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

We switched from Natural Balance Ultra Premium to Wellness Small Bites last month because I thought it would help her allergies. This year, we've switched kibbles 3 times so my Mom is quite tired (whom pays for the food bill) of switching.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I can here the comments on this one already, :D but here is a true story from my 14 years of doing what I do, we had a severe allergy dog as a client, those poor people tried everything under the sun in the way foods, this went on for quite some time, finally they agreed to allergy testing, when the results came back, other than an allergen free dog food, the ONLY food this dog could eat was.................Mighty dog. I swear this is a true story. I am not suggesting you try mighty dog, I am just using this as an example of how you never know what is going on with them internally. I could suggest you try an allergen free diet, which can be a little expensive to start with, but in the long run could be cheaper than what you spend on the failures. By the way are you using treats or feeding human food? I have also seen MANY owners of allergy pets frustrated beyond belief with the failures of the food, only to find out they were using treats loaded with corn and beef, they simply had'nt remembered they were using those treats, they were thinking food, not treats :D If this were my dog I would either get the testing done or put her on an allergen free diet, either solution will resolve the issue for the poor itchy dog and the anxious owner. Good luck :D
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Josie, she gets those man-shaped treats from the Petco treat bar and sometimes vegatables. They're low on dog food now so I'm gonna check the ingredients when we pick some up.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mites are a common cause of foot-licking, and it is also a well-known type of OCD behaviour. She may be releasing endorphins. Can I clarify: is this only happening before bed in the evenings? How long has she been doing this?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Perhaps I am confused as well, if it were mites (sarcoptic or demodectic) they would be widespread, I understood it to be only on the front feet. Is this correct?
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

I've witnessed my Poodle doing this at least 5+ years, always thinking it was her allergies acting up. She chews primarily on her front paws, but once they are red and uncomfortable looking, she'll move on to her back ankle. Forgive me for not being more clear.

Her most notorious spots would have to my parents' bed and the couch downstairs, her favorite places to sleep. It's generally when she's tired (like after exercise) but she'll sometimes do it when she's not (when she's not mentally/physically stimulated that day or change in routine/environment). She'll bite more if her paws are wet and grass stained too. She's never liked chew toys, likes fetch or tug. She'll stop if I say "Leave it" but she'll do tongue flecks instead and sometimes she'll do the tongue flecks instead of the chewing....

Does that help?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Well, I tell you, it sounds like food allergy to me, but I don't do much with behavior, others here are much better at that than myself. (I have enough trouble keeping up with the medical :lol: )
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

josie1918 wrote:Well, I tell you, it sounds like food allergy to me, but I don't do much with behavior, others here are much better at that than myself. (I have enough trouble keeping up with the medical :lol: )
What's an allergen free diet?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

It is a diet that is free of any known allergens to the dog. The proteins are hydrolyzed to avoid triggering the histimines that result in itching. There will only be one source of carbohydrates, and it will be a refined carbohydrate.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Wicket, I have never seen front paw licking/chewing in a canine unless it involved a food allergy.
Rupe chews his when his anal glands are bothering him. The latest vet looked at me as if I were mad the first time I took him there because of it but so far it's been the one symptom he's shown every time he's had an infection.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

To clarify:

Harvest mites are different from mange mites and only generally attack paws. There might be similar mites where you are. These tend to be seasonal (hence the name) also red mite from birds can make dogs very itchy.

Newly cut grass sap has the same effect - red itchy paws.

As Sarah83 says, anal gland issues often present as paw licking.

And if you do a Search on Acral Lick Dermatitis, there is useful information on the OCD aspect of paw-licking.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

I am not familiar with seasonal mites, but I don't know where the original poster lives. I also in 14 years have never seen anal gland dogs lick their front paws, but since it does obviously exist, please have your vet check your dogs anal glands.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

"Harvest mites" are called chiggers over here, but the dogs belly is usually what they go for, also they like the ankles and legs of the owners even better :lol: