Help! Again!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

Help! Again!

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Hi, i have a 8 year old male labrador. He has a few problems. First problem is He has terrible arthritis does anyone know any good medication over the counter? Second I noticed within a few weeks his pads on his paws have become furry? They are not really hard anymore just like they are covered in fur. Does anyone know what is causing this?

And the big problem. I beleive duke has hemorrhoids. Duke's tail and butt area is extremely touchy, he pulls away if you touch near that area. Although he does not have blood in his stool but its always diarrhea. But his butt does bleed often. Witch make his tail all gross. When you lift up the tail you can see the anus and somtimes its red, allot of the times it's red but right now its not red at all. My parents do not want to take him to the vet becuase he is quite protective and will growl if you get near his rear or anywhere. I'm very consered for his health.
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

DogzRule1996

Re: Help! Again!

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I would still say you take him to the vet. Even if he's touchy, the vet will understand and know how to handle dogs like this (after all, that's partially what he's trained for :) Pads covered in fur... do you mean like the actual pad covered in fur? Like fur is growing OVER it? Or Fur is growing IN it? Maybe it's just that he's getting old and his pads are wearing out, I'm not too sure. For the arthritis, most over the counter medicine aren't that good, but some baby aspirin might do the trick. Check to see if your local stores have any pain killers specially for dogs. I know this store nearby that just opened up has some kind of dog pain killer which I forgot the name of since I never buy it. But all in all you should take him to the vet even if he's touchy because the vet will handle EVERYTHING, and while you're there you can ask about his arthritis and his paws. Hope he gets better :)
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

ChubbyPuppy74 wrote: And the big problem. I beleive duke has hemorrhoids. Duke's tail and butt area is extremely touchy, he pulls away if you touch near that area. Although he does not have blood in his stool but its always diarrhea. But his butt does bleed often. Witch make his tail all gross. When you lift up the tail you can see the anus and somtimes its red, allot of the times it's red but right now its not red at all. My parents do not want to take him to the vet becuase he is quite protective and will growl if you get near his rear or anywhere. I'm very consered for his health.
If he's not feeling well and is hurting back there, he may well growl but he's still sick. Duke may have an infection in his anal glands. I'd definitely get him to the vet, especially if he's bleeding and having lots of stool problems.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

The rectal area is a very common site for cancerous tumors in older dogs, especially if they were not spayed or neutered when they were younger. This really is not an issue for speculation, your dog should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.