Striker's odd behaviour

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Striker's odd behaviour

Post by ***Melissa*** »

We have a beanbag with a pillow on it in our room, bc sometimes Bibi prefers not to lay on/in the bed with us. It's in our room for about 4 months now, so it's not something "new".

Anyway, for about 2 weeks now Striker's behaviour is a little weird. Everytime he goes into our bedroom he climbs on the pillow, put a piece of the pillow in his mouth and just holds it between his teeth. He's not biting or chewing the pillow, he just puts it in his mouth and holds it. He will even sometimes fall asleep like that.

I checked his mouth - everything is fine. He still eats, exercises, plays, sleeps, etc just the same as always.

He still sleep with us in bed, so this happens mostly during the day, or at night while we're preparing for bed, before he gets into our bed.

At first I thought his teeth may be itching (but I have tons of chew toys) :? But as it continues the only other thing I can think of is that it's a "coping" thing (like some dogs lick to cope with stuff). But, Striker isn't an anxious dog, nothing in or around the house changed, our routine didn't change. In general he's very confindent.

Could there be another reason for this?
Or if it is a coping thing - what can I do to help him? Or how do I determine what it is that he's not coping with?

It doesn't bother me that he's "holding" the pillow - if it makes him happy he can do it the whole day if he want to. I'm just worried that the reason the does that is that he is stressed or something?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: Striker's odd behaviour

Post by Nettle »

He is releasing endorphins. Doesn't mean you need to do anything - it works for him, it works for you. Don't fret about him being stressed - he has just found something that feels nice. If you like you could think back over the last few days and see if anything might have happened to upset him, but a certain amount of stress is inevitable in every life and not a big deal. Sometimes we all like a "cuddle" for no particular reason.

You are a lovely caring DogMama for seeing what he is doing and wondering what you can do to help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I didn't think of this before, but Hein has been at home for a few weeks, and started working away again about 3 weeks ago (he only comes home on weekends). Maybe that triggered it?

But anyway, Nettle, if you say I don't have to worry about it, then I won't :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Some dogs love to have dummies, looks like Striker could be one of them. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]