Wellness Dog Food

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kalo

Wellness Dog Food

Post by Kalo »

Hi All,

Maybe I didn't search good enough, however, can some one recommend a good dog food for my Cuddles? She is a one year old Cava Poo.

We are currently feeding her (IAMS/Adult 1-7) Dry food and Dr. Hills Prescription Dog canned foor...We mix them together. We don't over feed her...

However, we have sinced found out that IAMS dry food is not good...

Has anyone tried Wellness dry food. It's supposed to be all natural and we were thinking of picking up a bag tomorrow. Now, one thing I've heard about Wellness and that is after researching it is that the Fish and Patatoe brand has fish bones that are visible. Wellness said that they have corrected the problem but, according to the research it is still a problem.

I did find out that their other brand of Wellness i.e. chicken, etc. is good. My brother's Vet recommend that he start feeding his 6 year old lab this food and my brother swears by it...

Any adivse on good quality dog food is much appreciated...No More IAMS that is for sure...

Thanks

Kalo
maximoo

Re: Wellness Dog Food

Post by maximoo »

I had Max on Wellness for about a mth. He loved it but I didn't like the less than firm 'results' he produced if you know what I mean... However it is a very good wholesome dog food & many dogs do well onit. If you call the company they will send you samples that's what I had done. Blue Buffalo is also a decent food but both Wellness & Blue Buff are a bit pricey. Chicken soup for the Dog lovers Soul is comparable at a lesser price.It is made by Diamond Again call company & get samples or you can usually get samples at the store where it is sold. Right now Max is eating Kirkland which can only be bought at Costco. It is made by Diamond as well but its' very reasonable 40 lbs for $23. He loves it & has good firm 'results :wink: ' I also give him table scraps occassionally & raw meaty bones. He has a well rounded diet.
Let us know what you decide, and how Cuddles reacts.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Thanks Maximoo!

You know my brother told me that his labs stools wrere a little loose at the beginning, but after being on it for two months it became normal again.... I just hope if we decided to go with Wellness that it Cuddles stools won't be that bad

We shop at Costco and I am wondering if Kirkland is all natural cause that might be an option as well.

Thanks for the advise!

Kalo
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

KIRKLAND has no fillers, or corn. It comes in chicken/rice /vegatables or lamb/rice/vegetables. I give it a thumbs up but every dog is different. Try it if its doesn't work out just donate it to shelter or they will take it back as it is satisfaction guarenteed.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

I'll try her on the Kirkland first and see if she likes it. I had no idea Kirkland was that good :D However, like you said if she doesn't like it I will donate it to our local shelter.

Thanks

Kalo
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

You might find this site helpful as you decide on a food for your dog - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Jenna316 wrote:You might find this site helpful as you decide on a food for your dog - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/
Thanks Jenna316,

I'll check this link out. I will say that I went ahead and bought her Wellness and Cuddles really liked it...I'll check more of it out ingreident wise. So far it seems all natural on what they put...

We'll see....

Thanks

Kalo
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

The correct way to chg a dog's food is gradually. So, when you give her the new food mis it with her old food--like 25 % new food/75% old food for a few days-like 3-4 days. then do a 50/50 mix for a few days. If all is going well you can reduce old food to 25% & then finally she'll be on the new food.

However some people just give the new food w/o mixing it with old & sometimes all is well.

In any event you can donate the old food if any is left, or if new food doesn't work out you can donate it too. However if you are short on cash or something the dog foods are guarenteed & the store will take it back & you can choose a different food to try. As uusual always keep your receipts.
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

maximoo wrote:The correct way to chg a dog's food is gradually. So, when you give her the new food mis it with her old food--like 25 % new food/75% old food for a few days-like 3-4 days. then do a 50/50 mix for a few days. If all is going well you can reduce old food to 25% & then finally she'll be on the new food.
Yes, this is exactly what they said to do at Petco. However, there is an update on her food. We gave her Wellness for three days and she started not liking it. So, we switched her over to Kirkland (Costco) and she loves it.

I did some research and Kirkland is right up their with Wellness other TOP PREMIUM dog food.

Thanks again for the help!

Kalo