Peeing too much, why?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Esprit64

Peeing too much, why?

Post by Esprit64 »

Hello: I have a 2 1/2 year-old lab mix, female. Just back from the vets, all OK, no UTI, best of health. Housebroken. In emergency, she can hold her pee indoors for 8 hours. Why is it that when we go trail walking, she is peeing every few minutes as if she's marking like a male?
josie1918

Re: Peeing too much, why?

Post by josie1918 »

Some female dogs do mark their territory just as a male dog would do.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Ditto what Josie said.

Another interesting thing - when a female is in heat (and just before) she'll wee even more on walks to inform all the males to "come visit her". :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Esprit64

Post by Esprit64 »

Wow, never knew. My principle reason for preferring females was because they didn't mark trails. Never had a female do this before. Then again, I never had a BIG female dog before, always petite pooches. Oi vay. I love her anyway.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Yep, we do love them, don't we :wink:

Scent marking also happens when a dog is insecure. But with insecurity he/she will usually scent mark inside the house, sometimes in a specific room. And insecure females will scent mark just as much as an insecure male. (This is not the case with your dog though, I think your dog is pretty much normal :lol: )
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

My pup does this too, and I figured it was either marking or being in the great wide world/toilet (since she's outside, she doesn't have to hold it).
Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker »

I am currently fostereing a female 7yr old Cavelier crossed with a Cocker Spaniel who has been spayed.

She holds her pee all night no problem but when we are out on walks every 5 seconds she is peeing to mark a spot, I am sure she was a male dog in a previous life :roll:
People should have to do a training course PRIOR to getting any kind of pet
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Karma wees a lot when we're walking, but she does this to mark her scent over other dogs who have been where ever it is we walking at the time such as along the road, along trails, and most embarrassingly to me, on posts, street signs, and whatever else is along the sidewalks that other dogs have marked. I'm sure it is normal with your dog! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown