dry skin

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

troop

dry skin

Post by troop »

can anyone advise on a good food (dry) for my ute Harry. when we got him he was very very very thin and although he is steadily putting on weight his coat is scurfy and dry what can i add to his diet or a good food to feed please.
Fundog

Re: dry skin

Post by Fundog »

For one you can get him some fish oil capsules-- you can find those in the vitamin/dietary supplements for people section of your local super market. Give him two in each meal.

Next, there are some of the better brands of dry dog food that also make a "skin & coat formula." Some of those include VF (Veterinary Formulated), which can only be found at agricultural feed stores, and Eukanuba, and Iams. Personally, I find the VF to be the best for the cost, if you can find a feed store near you. They have a huge line, including a holistic formula, and also a formula for dogs with allergies.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
troop

Post by troop »

thank you fundog i will get right on it x
Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker »

Hello All :D

There is more and more evidence of not feeding larger breeds a complete dry food mix as this causes swelling of the stomach/gut/intestinal tract which then leads to agonising pain and often an operation.

Dogs do not eat a dry food naturally so unless you are going to soak it I would suggest not feeding it.

I give all my dogs that I foster fish oil capsules in their food once a day only. I start them with one capsule as it can give then loose bowel movements.

Debbie :)
People should have to do a training course PRIOR to getting any kind of pet
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Ugh jennyjohn is obviously a spammer.

Troop, echo Fundog's suggestion of looking for a skin formula. Might be allergies to your dog's current food that's causing the skin to continue to be dry?