What To Do?? I Need Advice ASAP!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChubbyPuppy74

What To Do?? I Need Advice ASAP!!

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

I have a 3yr old bloodhound Mia. Anyways i saw her limping the other day checked it out but it was too dark. I checked today again and saw that one side of her pad is all pink and has no hair this continues all the way down to her webbed part of her paw. I really really really want to take her to the vet but my parents have said no. We have argued the whole day about this, I'm so freaking mad! (I'm 15) My dad thinks he knows everything about dog care. They said they would not take her because they could fix it them selves, here is what they did. They put hydrogen Peroxide and antibiotics on her paw, she was whining and crying,i was crying. I hate to see her in pain! I still want to take her to the vet. I don't know what to do! I don't have enough money to take her or i would!
Attachments
DSC07311-1.jpg
DSC07311-1.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

DogzRule1996

Re: What To Do?? I Need Advice ASAP!!

Post by DogzRule1996 »

It's a bit blurry, and tears are stinging my eyes. That looks pretty painful :cry: I would suggest going to the vet, but if you can't, then just wait a few days and see if it heals a bit.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ouch that looks a bit sore!

If that was my dog, I would clean it (probably salt water, though it is a bit stingy) and dry it and pop some antiseptic cream on it, for things like that i like Sudocrem (zinc oxide cream), though you do have to make sure the dog doesnt lick that off.

Another good thing to put on sore oozy sorts of things is honey - ideally manuka honey but if you dont have that (and most folk wont its not cheap!) then ANY honey, as long as it hasnt got crumbs in and bits of butter....:lol:). It will dry it up and kill all manner of nasties and wont do ANY harm whatsoever to your dog, even if he licks it off (but it does work better if the dog doesnt lick it off for a while).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Our dog licked a bit of Neosporin by accident on his nose once when he had that nasty big bug bite, but he didn't die and it didn't affect him in any way, but I would still say it's safer if you didn't put any medicine on unless you can wrap it up or something to prevent her from licking it. Actually, no matter what, I'd suggest you wrap it up. Clean it up and put the stuff on as emmabeth mentioned, and then wrap it up so she can't lick it off or get to it.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'd do the same as emmabeth, clean it and put some antiseptic cream on it. That's all the vet did when Shadow sliced most of his pad off and it cost us £50. Would have been another £25 if we'd gone back to have the dressing changed buy my mum said to hell with that and did it herself. Rupe's cut his paws god knows how many times and I just clean them, put sudocrem on them and put a clean sock over the paw to stop him licking at the injury and making it worse (he licks and bites at them obsessively and ends up making tiny cuts into huge raw patches).
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Just be careful if you wrap the paw up - it is very difficult to bandage a paw properly and VERY VERY easy to bandage it badly so that you cut the circulation off to the paw. A horrific amount of damage can be done this way in a very very short space of time.

If you need a cream or honey to sink in without getting everywhere, I would pop the foot into a plastic sandwich bag and then a human sock, and really really loosely tape it on with a low tack tape so you dont risk hurting the dog when you take it off. Really loose those so that it is just kept on if the dog moves a little, you arent trying to keep it on whilst the dog goes for a long walk or a game of fetch or anything like that.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ChubbyPuppy74

Post by ChubbyPuppy74 »

Thanks for all the advice, Mia's paw looks so much better and it almost looks normal. The medication had paid off.:)
Anybody who doesn’t know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones