Antibody titers?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Antibody titers?

Post by Noobs »

I've just read an article about getting antibody titers before vaccinations to see if the vaccinations are even necessary. I want to ask for anyone on here who may know as I would trust you guys before anyone else on the internet: When can you ask for an antibody titer test (is that what it's called officially?)? In place of vaccinations, before vaccinations, I'm not clear on that. What do the results show you? I've never heard of this before. I haven't had to take Murph to the vet in a few months and he's not due for any shots until I think September. (He's gotten Rabies in March, and Bordatella in April because he was about to spend a month at the doggy camp.) When the time comes for Murphy to visit the vet again I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions and not over-vaccinating him.
Leigha

Re: Antibody titers?

Post by Leigha »

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I use these for my dogs. Over here it costs about the same as the vaccinations, so no cheaper but of course healthier. Some vets are very opposed to the tests, some pretend they don't exist, and I know a couple of practices that claimed the charge was £300 (I pay £30) :evil:

However when you do get an honest vet, the test is a blood test, quite simple. There are some vaccines titre tests don't work with e.g. leptospirosis* and kennel cough, but for the core vaccines we have in UK they are fine. Not sure how it applies your side as you have to vaccinate against more diseases than we do.

I get my dogs tested every 3 years if the first test shows good immunity (it always has). After 9 years old I don't have them tested any more. FWIW I have never had a dog "boosted" the vaccines have all lasted for life. Probably why some vets don't like titre tests!

* I notice from the link that these people say lepto CAN be titre tested. Over here they say it can't. Choose whichever option suits :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Noobs, We have several clients who use this option, now before anything is even cosidered please find out what your state laws are regarding this practice. Should Murphy bite someone you need to establish that he is properly protected against rabies, or he can be destroyed so that the head can be sent in to determine if he is rabid or not. SO PLEASE start the process here.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Thanks, guys. I will definitely want to talk about all these with my vet and find out the laws in New York for sure.
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

Personally, I get the initial puppy shots, and boost them all at about a year and a half. Then I have titer's checked once every few years or so. Like Nettle, I've yet to have to boost a vaccine. The exception to this is rabies. This is required by law here (I'm in the US) to be given either once a year or once every three years (depending on which type you choose at the time). So that one must be done so I have the paperwork in case of an incident. Also in my area almost every groomer and kennel requires the kennel cough vaccine be up to date before they will take on your dog. I don't use these, but for those who do it's something to consider as well.

Vaccine's are the bread and butter of most vet practices. But there's a reason for it - the exam your pet gets along with the vaccines. Vet's know that for many of their clients, if they aren't bringing their pet in for vaccines every year, they are unlikely to take them in simply for routine, yearly exams. Lot's of things that don't show symtoms yet can be caught early by a good exam, so I still take my pets in once a year for a check-up, I just say no to the booster shots.
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Hey there Noobs,
You should search for Dr. Jean Dodds and I believe Dr. Richard Pitcairn (sp?). Dr. Jean Dodds is one of first who started to question the annual vacs. You should be able to find out more about titer tests on her websites (can't think of any at the moment). Also, Dr. Jean Dodds along with a Kris Christine formed The Rabies Challenge Fund in the United States. They are raising money to fund a 7 year rabies challenge study. I didn't know anything at all about the whole vaccination controversy until this past week, sure am paying attention now.