Deciding Which Dog to Nueter first...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

runlikethewind

Re: Deciding Which Dog to Nueter first...

Post by runlikethewind »

I have always wondered why there isn't a procedure to keep the hormones in tact but deal with the reproduction aspect. So the 'snip' if you like for male dogs and hysteretomy for females but keeping the ovaries etc. I've always wondered this. This would deal with the issue of unwanted litters but allow the hormones still to function properly.

I also noticed in a previous post - 'nasty, aggressive dogs'. Why call them nasty? Who says they are nasty?
runlikethewind

Re: Deciding Which Dog to Nueter first...

Post by runlikethewind »

Fron wikipedia...

I don't know why more people don't ask for these procedures instead!

Surgical alternatives
Vasectomy: The cutting and tying of the vasa deferentia. Failure rates are insignificantly small. This procedure is routinely carried out on male ferrets and sheep to manipulate the estrus cycles of in-contact females. It is uncommon in other animal species.

Tubal Ligation: Snipping and tying of fallopian tubes as a sterilization measure can be performed on female cats and dogs. Risk of unwanted pregnancies is insignificantly small. Only a few veterinarians will perform the procedure.

Like other forms of neutering, vasectomy and tubal ligation eliminate the ability to produce offspring. They differ from neutering in that they leave the animal's levels and patterns of sex hormone unchanged. Both sexes will retain their normal reproductive behavior, and other than birth control, none of the advantages and disadvantages listed above apply. This method is favored by some people who seek minimal infringement on the natural state of companion animals to achieve the desired reduction of unwanted births of cats and dogs.