puppy comming into heat?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cathyd

puppy comming into heat?

Post by cathyd »

Hi

I think my 8 month old cavalier king charles spaniel is starting to come into heat, i have noticed her licking more and that her vulva is swollen, just wondered how long it would be until she started bleeding have not noticed any in her bed or where she usually rests but when i have looked at her vulva it looks red as if it has been bleeding. I know small dogs dont loose alot their first season but just wondering how i will know when she has finished, ihave noticed she is getting attention from other dogs while out what would you recommend about me walking her while she is on heat. Also how long after her season can i get her spayed?

Thanks in advance
Catherine
Nettle

Re: puppy comming into heat?

Post by Nettle »

3 months after the heat is the best time for spaying, but if you can possibly wait until she is over a year old, she will benefit from being more mature, and at two years will have finished growing. That last would be the ideal, but I know some people come under pressure not to wait that long, and it is not easy to withstand it.

If her vulva is swollen, she is already on heat. The first heat is often atypical, but normally the heat lasts 21 days and the most fertile period is between 10-14 days. However most of us know pups conceived outside that timespan and I am personally very careful for another week after the vulva has returned to its normal size.

Not all b itches "show colour", and most are very good at cleaning up after themselves, so you may never see any more than the swollen vulva. There are variations, and it takes a couple of heats to settle down into what is typoical for that particular b itch.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS