Rottweiler Puppy Smaller Than Littermates

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

H-Man

Re: Rottweiler Puppy Smaller Than Littermates

Post by H-Man »

Thanks everyone, been a great help and comfort. You would think the pet shop owners that we asked would know a thing or two about this too, and tell us not to worry, that they grow at different rates etc. It makes sense. My mum was telling me people would always say my older brother was "small for his age" when he was a baby, so she would take him along to random doctors appointments and where other babies would be just so she could compare him with the others.

Anyway, I have just ONE more thing that you might be able to help me with.

I may have posted this already, but we were feeding him 4 times a day, about a handful of food (soaked in water so it would expand to fill his whole bowl). Then we started feeding him dry food gradually, and changed to 3 meals a day. My memory is failing me here so I can't remember when this happened and how gradual it was, but we're not feeding him about 3 handfuls per meal, which is 1 cup. The problem is, his stools haven't been too solid lately. What usually happens is they start solid and normal, usually they're fine in the morning, but then at some point during the day, one will start normal but end soft - sometimes like milkshake, sometimes just a bit sticky or whatever, moist. We had started using Cheerios as treats because he seemed to enjoy them and they were cheap and handy, so we thought maybe that was causing it. My mum also bought some biscuits for him and I gave him one as a treat and 4 hours later he was having a loose stool. So we thought maybe that had caused it. So anyway, we decided yesterday that we would only feed him his normal food for a while to rule out what was going on, but still his stools generally start solid but get softer as it...comes out. :?

I'm thinking it must be we're over feeding him. And looking back, considering we went from one handful 4 times a day to 3 handfuls 3 times a day, it makes sense. We've gone back now so tomorrow I'm going to feed him 4 times through the day, with about 1 handful per meal. Is that enough? Is that still too much? This is my first dog, let alone first puppy, so I only have experience feeding cats.

I've tried to find guides online about how much to feed him at his age (3 months 1 week) but not found anything definite or helpful. Any suggestions?
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Hmmmm cheerios, HIGH fiber, personally I suspect the cheerios, also I believe cheerios is also loaded with grains, which may be causing an allergy. How bout we use frozen green beans or carrots for your puppy for a treat? Feeding values differ from brand to brand, so there really isn't a set schedule of how much to feed. I can give you the calorie ammount needed each day for a dog of this size, if you know what the calorie content of your dogs food is.
H-Man

Post by H-Man »

Thats the problem, often websites say "check the back of the packaging for how much to feed your puppy", but we buy ours from the local pet shop in clear bags out of a 'crate'/scoop thing. It's one of the more expensive ones so should be good quality, but all we know about it is that it's chicken and...mushroom or something. So I guess actually all we know is that its got chicken in it.

I suppose the pet shop owners would know what it is and how much we should be using, so could pop in and ask them some time. How long do you think it would take for food to work its way through him? We havent fed him cheerios since...MAYBE yesterday morning, if not then some time the day before. Would that still be effecting him?

He loves carrots anyway (I fed him green beans before and that resulted in a soft stool so I'm wary of trying that again incase they're what caused it) so I'll try and use carrots in future.

I think in Victoria's book (or on this site or somewhere) I read that you should be able to feel the ribs beneath the skin but not see them, which is true of Omar. If he's laying down on his side you can see the base of his rib cage, but, you can see the base of my rib cage too so I'm guessing that's not what it means. I'm assuming it just means when he's standing, you can't see his ribs, but you can feel them just below the surface.
nixe

Post by nixe »

One handfull per meal doesn't seem like enough. I would start using a cup measure so you are feeding a more accuarate amount and check the label on the food to see how much. Don't forget to weigh often and adjust accordingly since puppies grow like weeds! Just for reference we are feeding our 9 week old puppy who today weighs 14 lbs about 1 cup three times a day, and I pretty sure your puppy weighs more. Your puppy is super cute by the way!
nixe

Post by nixe »

Also one more note....if you feed him nothing but his food for a couple days and he still has loose stool take him to the vet to make sure it isn't a parasite causing the problem.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

If it is the cheerios, you should see improvement in a few days, I use pieces of my dogs food for treats on my 2 allergy dogs, that way I always know exactly what they have eaten. Definately ask your pet store for feeding guidelines for this food, and please know that the recommendations are just that, recommendations, if your dog gets heavy, cut back a little, if he gets too thin, add a little. Use any kitchen measuring cup to help prevent under/over feeding.
Yes, an ideal weight dog shoule have a bit of a waistline when you standing looking down on them, you should be able to feel the ribs when you lightly touch their sides, but they should NOT be visible when the dog is standing.
Also, your monthy heartworm preventative should be taking care of puppy worms (round worms) if he is not on a preventative then, you should have a fecal exam done to rule out parasites. :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thats the problem, often websites say "check the back of the packaging for how much to feed your puppy", but we buy ours from the local pet shop in clear bags out of a 'crate'/scoop thing.
Google can sometimes be your best friend :D http://www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalo ... _guide.pdf

For what it's worth, I have an 80lb dog and a cup that holds roughly 100g of food. He gets 5 cups a day (500g) and is lean on that. I know people with dogs the same size as him who feed around 150g of the same food a day. There is no set amount that's right for any dog, you have to watch his condition, if he's too thin increase it, if he's getting fat decrease it.

This may help you determine whether your dog is overweight or not. http://www.dogstop.com/healthforum/body.htm
nixe

Post by nixe »

There are lots of different parasites that can cause loose stool besides roundworms. Coccidia and giardia are just two culprites that can harm puppies and dogs, not saying your puppy is sick just wanted to make sure people know that monthly heartworm preventative doesn't cure all parasites.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

No, your monthly heartworm preventative will take care of round, whip and hook worms. Tape worms will need a seperate wormer. Giardia should be a concern only if you have an abundance of wildlife in the area where your dog would be playing or living. Coccidia mimmicks parvo, (so much more than loose stools). :D
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Yes please use a standard measuring cup so you know exactly the amount pup is eating. How do you know a handful is exactly a cup? All bags of dog food give recommendations but those are exagerrated so it will run out & you have to buy more. Personally I feel that you are feeding too much at once. It is very easy to overfeed the dog & millions of people do. Overloading the pups tummy can cause loose stools. A dog's digestive tract is short & will normally eliminate what was eaten 8-12 hr later. If I were you I'd give him 1/2 a cup a day 3x a day plus treats. If his poo doesn't resemble tootsie rolls you might need to chg his food. Max was on WELLNESS & tho he loved it & is is a very good food, he always had mixed poo too. I switched him back to Blue Buffalo & his deposits went back to normal.