Crusty nose...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

biscuitsmom

Crusty nose...

Post by biscuitsmom »

Hi everyone, I posted on another part of the board also, but am hoping someone can give me their opinions on what is wrong with my dog's nose. It has been dry/crusty looking for a long time, but suddenly looks much worse! It is getting thicker and has a small roundish spot on the end of one side...its located on the leathery part of the nose. He is a 9 yr old Chinese Shar Pei and had cancer surgery (mast cell tumor) 7 months ago. That tumor was on his right side near his hip. I am calling the vet tomorrow, but would love to hear any opinions on what we might be facing. I cant find any pics online that look like it...please help!
josie1918

Re: Crusty nose...

Post by josie1918 »

Please do have a vet look at this. Lots of dogs get skin cancer on their noses, (collies come to mind) but as with humans, if caught early, it should be ok :D
biscuitsmom

Post by biscuitsmom »

Thanks, Josie.....we are calling in the morning- they are closed today. Have you seen any pics of it you could possibly post a link to? All Ive come up with is symptoms. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post- that was really nice....
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Well, I personally have seen it look like lumps and bumps, also like somewhere the dog may have rubbed the skin off, and I have seen it look like a little pimple sort of thing. Pictures are ok, but there really isn't a text book classic look to skin cancer as each dog can have different colorings etc. Sorry I can't be of more help with the pictures.
biscuitsmom

Post by biscuitsmom »

Thanks anyway, Josie..... it really doesnt look like a regular lump (like his tumor did) Its just a hard, heavy thickening of crust with a bump sticking out....I guess my mind automatically thinks cancer, after being thru that.....praying its something thats treatable. He's been feeling pretty well, playing, eating good, stools ok, etc.....sometimes when he lays on the couch (his bed) he gags a few/or several times, once he setttles down good he doesnt at all and NEVER does when he's not lying on his side or is awake-aagghh.....will post when we get back from the vet- thank you SO much for your concern and help!
biscuitsmom

Post by biscuitsmom »

Just got home from the vet and while she was examining it, a big chunk of it fell off! She seen a small amount of pus, so she gave us some antibiotic pills and a disinfectant to wipe it twice a day....she didnt think it was cancer, rather Hyperkeratosis (a overgrowth of skin cells common in older dogs) Im SO relieved! He had cancer surgery 8 months ago, so I was afraid it was back....we didnt see ANY signs of infection- it was very hard and crusty/crumbly looking....thanks again, Josie, for your concern!
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

what good news that was. I am so glad it was not skin cancer. Give that dog a senior hug!!! :lol: