Heat Cycle

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Heat Cycle

Post by ***Melissa*** »

At what age does a female come into heat for the first time (approximately)?

Bibi (jack russel x dashchund) is a little over 7 months old now, and so far I didn't detect any changes in her personality, but I'm sooo afraid I won't notice it.

Bibi is my first female, so I have no idea how obvious it would be?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: Heat Cycle

Post by Nettle »

Any time from six months onward, but some breeds go well over a year.

I haven't time to do a full description of the heat cycle just now, but some of us did a short while ago, so if you do a Search you should come up with lots of information, and then come back and ask your questions, and I'll be back with more time later. :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The youngest ***** that I have had came into season when she was 8 months old, Tilly was the oldest at 16 months old, it depends on the dog. Don't worry, you won't miss it :lol:

We don't know if Dolly has been spayed or not and there is no visable scar so I am waiting, if she comes into season she will be spayed 3 months after, if she doesn't, then I am extremely lucky. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Thanx Nettle, yes, I did read through the other thread where you described the heat cycle. :D (it was very interesting by the way)

And I have been watching her closely for signs, but haven't notice any so far. I just wanted to know the approximate age - I thought it would be easier, but it seems like I'll just have to keep watching her for who knows how long :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Mattie wrote: Don't worry, you won't miss it :lol:
:shock: I hope not!!! :lol: (but that's what I'm afraid of)

I'll just keep an eye on her, as it can happen any time from now untill who knows when :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

She will give plenty of warning - her fur will become softer, she'll need to pee more, she may become scatty or secretive or very girlie, several weeks before the big event.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS