hocks

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

hocks

Post by meggit »

got a really really good bargin on pigs hock's this week from my local supermarket ive stripped off most of the meat for buddy but there is still a lot of meat left on the bones can i give the bones to buddy or is this one of the ones that he shouldnt have. thanks in advance once again for your replies
josie1918

Re: hocks

Post by josie1918 »

If these are pre-cooked, I really would not want to risk it. Pork bones have a"gift" of shattering into a million shards, some very sharp when pressure is applied, like a dog bite" :lol: I would just let him enjoy the meat, or how bout stuffing a kong rubber bone end with them?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh man, Mr. Fundog would have a fit if I bought a package of hocks to give to the dogs-- hocks are perfect for making up a pot of split pea soup on a rainy day! In fact, if there is still a good bit of meat left on those bones, get a package of split peas or beans, and cook 'em up! (slurpy tongue emoticon) 8) (And I bet Buddy would enjoy a little dish of split pea soup as well) :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fundog, I am coming round for dinner one day :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Buddy is on raw, right?

If it was me I'd probably give it to them just as is (as far as I know raw bones...or hocks...wont splinter). If there's pieces left after he's done with it, through that away, bc I think it will splinter when it dries out in the sun.

But I think he will be just fine with a raw hock...and I'm also thinking I'm gonna get some for Striker & Bibi :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
meggit

Post by meggit »

oh what to do now i know about the soup i suppose i could give buddy one and cook the other two up for us :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Nettle, I'll let you know as soon as monsoon season hits again! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.