"Girl Talk" (and girl-dog parts)

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

"Girl Talk" (and girl-dog parts)

Post by Fundog »

Okay. According to the rescue we acquired Dottie from, she has been spayed (however, she did reach full maturity, including a heat cycle before the rescue found her). We even have a certificate of spay surgery from the vet who did it.

However... Mr. Fundog told me that just last night he "could swear" that he saw some bloody discharge coming from Dottie's vulva, as though she were menstruating. He said this is not the first time, but rather he saw something like this about six months ago. He mentioned it because Dottie picked a fight with Annie this evening, which really surprised all of us, as the two girls have not quarreled in some time. He was wondering if a dog being in heat would cause her to be a bit "bitchy"-- I assured him that yes, it would, lol. But I could not imagine the vet would fraudulently certify a dog as having been spayed! So we lured Dottie onto her back, feeding her tidbits and rubbing her belly, while I moved her tail and took a good look at her "girl parts." It did look rather pink-- very "girly" and feminine, I must say-- but I did not see any bloody discharge, or any discharge at all. I even used a tissue to dab at it, and make sure, but the tissue came up clean and dry.

So I'm wondering, could something else have gotten in there and irritated her enough to make her bleed a bit? (like a foxtail, perhaps?) Having had a heat cycle prior to being spayed, is her vulva supposed to be somewhat prominent and a very rose pink in color? Is it conceivable that a vet might claim to have spayed a dog, when in fact he/she did not?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: "Girl Talk" (and girl-dog parts)

Post by Nettle »

There are several things this might be (aren't there always? :lol: )

She may not have been spayed and there may be a mix-up with the paperwork. It happens.

She may have been spayed but not everything taken. This is dodgy, as it can lead to a condition called "stump pyometra" because the piece of tissue left, which does not have to be big, is still trying to conduct a heat cycle. This can be very persistent. Are her ladybits swollen?

She may have a little growth inside, or an abscess, or a foreign object like a grass seed.

The change in attitude could be hormonal or could be the result of painful ladybits.

Sorry - means a thorough check by a really good vet.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Very pink and prominent (in some dogs its REALLY... out there... think chimpanzee-butt!) does sound like shes in season and either hasnt been spayed or they missed something.

I would think its more likely she wasnt spayed as missing something... thats quite hard to do (most vets can count to two after all!) and mix ups with paperwork do occur.

As Nettle says though, an infection could lead to similar symptoms, so a trip to a good vet for a thorough exam is necessary.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, I do have an update: The very next morning after posting, I continued to look very closely again. From a standing position, Dottie's lady bits are not visible at all, as it is all covered up by her butt feathers. The only way to see is to roll her onto her back and move her butt feathers out of the way. And on closer inspection, I think that perhaps what Mr. Fundog may have mistaken for blood might be one of her rust colored specks, as she is a tri-color setter. However, it does appear that her lady bits are quite a bit "less" than what they were when I originally posted. I mean, she does have something a bit larger than what Annie has, considering Dottie was allowed to reach full sexual maturity before being spayed. (Annie's parts are nearly non-existent) But I do have to actually look for it, in order to find it. Does that make sense? Oh, and it is NOT "puffy" or swollen. I hope this doesn't sound too vulgar, but I was rather intrigued upon my inspection to discover Dottie's vulva very much resembles an orchid. It's kind of neat. I hope I don't sound like a sick-o by saying that! :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Not at all sicko - if more of this stuff was talked about, fewer people would be puzzled about how it all worked.

Some b itches are neater about the bits than others. Always good to know the pattern for each one of your own dogs.

It's the Indonesians, I believe, who refer to the delicate parts as a 'flower'. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I'm glad to know I'm not a sicko, because I found this so fascinating, that while Dottie was already on her back begging for belly rubs, I decided to get a magnifying lens out and take a closer look-- WOW. Neat-o! Of course, Dottie didn't think so-- she was asking what the heck I thought I was doing, and to just leave her nether-regions alone, lol! And yes, Dottie is a tidy little girl-- she always cleans up after coming in from a potty trip. 8)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

More people need to be familiar with their pets anatomy, it is not sick or weird to know what various parts look like when normal, when changed by hormones or when injured/infected etc.

If I suspect Kelda has an infection or something is untoward down there the first thing I do after having a look.... is to sniff it! (Shes very obliging mind you, I wouldn't attempt that with a ***** i didnt know well :lol:)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Cadence had a "partially inverted vulva" when she was a pup which was why she had frequent UTI's. Sometimes she gets a bit red down there when she is outside and the lawn has been recently cut or fertilizer has been put down. Hers also isn't very "prominent" :lol: and she is not very lady-like as she will lay on the floor all sprawled out for the world to see :lol: