Puppy vomiting!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

**liz**

Puppy vomiting!

Post by **liz** »

I am a bit concered about Riley! (15 week old male lab)

on wed about 5.30pm we were in the garden and riley vomited, i didn't think much of it as a assumed that he had eaten something he shouldn't have, he ate all of his dinner on wed evening as usual. last night about 11.30pm he came out of his crate (he goes in about 8.30pm, he puts himself to bed) and had a huge drink of water and then vomited again but this time it was more water than food! and he went off to bed as normal! This morning about 8.30am before i went to take the kids to school he vomited in his crate but this time he ate it (yuk, i know) and then did it again about 5,30pm and about half an hour ago!

He does not bring up much when he vomits, its more heaving!

We had a free sample of food from the vets and over the last week or so i have been mixing small amount of it with his normal food, i thought that this could have been a reason for the vomitting, my other reason is he is a big greedy pup and gobbles down his food to fast! the vet have told us to feed him less as he is a little fatty!

My husband if feeding him tonight from his hand (small amounts at a time so he chews them well) and i hope it makes a difference!

He is being his normal happy self, although as i am writing this he has eaten some grass and bought it back up!!

please can i have some advice on what to do!!!!
Horace's Mum

Re: Puppy vomiting!

Post by Horace's Mum »

If it was me, and he is still drinking, pooing, playing and otherwise happy in himself, I would starve him for 24 hours (but leave water down at all times), and if he manages not to vomit in that time then introduce a tiny amount of something like boiled chicken, rice or scrambled egg. Give him a few hours, if he keeps that down then give him a little more. If he keeps that down then give him a little of his normal food and work up to usual amounts.

If he hasn't pooed since Wednesday either then I would call your vet asap - he may have a blockage. And if he is at all off-colour, not playing, looking ill, anything like that then I would call the vet and have a chat.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd be off to the vet with him. It does sound as if it could be a blockage, and at his age they dehydrate very quickly.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

His behaviour does suggest he is trying to shift something.. he may vomit whatever it is back up, so do check on wahtever comes up - I would be seriously considering a discussion with your vet though. In the mean time, follow Horaces Mums advice and if theres any change, ie he stops producing poo - vomits blood - looks really uncomfy or goes into shock (pale gums, slow cap. refill).. then go adn see a vet straight away.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
**liz**

Post by **liz** »

Thank you all so much for your advice, i really appreciate it!!

Riley is feeling a little better now, i decided to take him to the vet yesterday as he started to become lathargic! he also stopped pooing and was sick again before lunch! and he rufused a treat :shock: (something that he has never done before!!!)
The vet said it could be something that he has eaten in the garden (toy or plants) but there was nothing obvious when she felt his tummy, she said it could also be a very bad case of worms which is uncommon but not unheard of, or he could have a tummy bug!
She gave him some doggie calpol and something to stop him being sick and sent us away with some rehydration sachets and told us to go back if he didnt improve over the next couple of days for some scans and x-rays! She was a lovely vet, and i feel so much happier that he has been seen!! i managed to sleep last night and so did he!!!!! :)

Thanks again for all of your help!!!