Post Op Problems

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bradybunch

Post Op Problems

Post by Bradybunch »

I`m looking for some advice, reassurance.......

I have a 6 month old collie spaniel cross who was spayed on wednesday, her litter mate was spayed on tuesday. Both had unremarkable surgery and initial post op recovery, Yesterday, her littermate`s owner reported diaorrhoea, overnight last night my pup developed the same. Bot have been back to the vets. Both puppies have a bit of blood in their stool, no obvious wound infection or temperature.
Both puppies have had metacam for pain relief, both puppies usually eat dry food and have been eating post op special wet food since.

The littermate has deteriorated today, is vomiting, passing watery stools and is back at the vets on a drip. We are running approx 24 hours behind and I am worried sick about my dog.
Initialy the vet thought it was a reaction to the metacam, so she has had a IM injection of antibiotic and a 5 day oral course, also some probiotic paste.

has anyone any experience of this and is there anything else I should be doing to help her recover.

Many thanks
Duffy Jones

Re: Post Op Problems

Post by Duffy Jones »

Vomiting and diarrhea can and is the most common complication that we see after surgery. It can be from the anesthesia or it can be from the Metacam. Metacam is a great drug for pain but in some pets it can upset their stomach. Typically if I have issue after surgery, I give them lots of fluids under the skin to keep the hydrated, stop the metacam, and start them on oral antibiotics - metronidazole to prevent bacterial overgrowth in the stomach and intestines because of the inflammation. I also change them over to the bland diet for a few days. All usually do really well.

I really think that fluids are the main part of therapy. The dogs feel better and so their own system and fix itself. I typically give them lots of fluid in surgery and we continue fluids until they go home. If they show any signs of not feeling well, the first thing they get is fluids.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
Bradybunch

Post by Bradybunch »

Thank you for your quick reply.

She had IM metronidazole this morning and has a five day course starting tomorrow, her litter-mate didn`t get this. She also has this probiotic paste.
She is drinking and eating well, and barking at the gardener next door.

Do you think the wet food could be upsetting her too?
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

could be adding to the problem. I tell people go bland with diet like boiled chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice. Just remember fluids are a good thing for them.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
[email protected]
Bradybunch

Post by Bradybunch »

Many thanks for your help...she is drinking plenty, I am checking.
She`s very bouncy and full of herself at the moment and things seem to be "solidifying" hopefully to stay that way.

Her littermate has had an anti emetic and some IV fluids and is much brighter too.

Thank you again for your help
Bradybunch

Post by Bradybunch »

Just to let you all know, both puppies are much better today. My pup is almost 100% recovered, her litter mate has stopped vomiting and having been fasted all night has kept her breakfast down this morning
My girl has had her normal breakfast this morning and is digging holes in my flowerbed today :(
Thank you Duf for your advice
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

I am glad everything is better.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
[email protected]