Raw food diet question

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Raw food diet question

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Being pregnant, I just learned it's better for me NOT to eat 'normal' chicken / meat, but must make sure it's "free range", meaning there are now anit-biotics or hormones that makes them grow faster injected into the animal.

Almost all the meat / chicken you find does have the injections, etc, and the free range ones are bluddy expensive.

Anyhoo, Striker and Bibi are on the raw food diet, and they eat the chick / meat WITH the injections and stuff (that's what we also eat, except now I will eat the free range stuff while Im pregnant). So will those injection stuff have negative effects on Striker and Bibi?

I really won't be able to afford to put them on the free range stuff :(
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Re: Raw food diet question

Post by Nettle »

Heck.

You would be better to keep away from this stuff, and so would they. Is there any affordable meat you can get that isn't full of hormones and antibiotics?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Erk - tricky!

However whilst its better for us all to avoid meat filled with hormones/antibiotics - I still think raw meat even if it does have these in it, is better than processed dog food undoubtedly made from... meat filled with hormones and antibiotics!

You have to do the best you can, and finances come into that - if you CAN source meat that doesnt contain these things thats great (wild meat wouldnt contain them!) but if you can only afford them for yourselves and not the dogs, I would do just that and leave them on the meat they are currently on.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hubby goes hunting every winter, and I'd say about half of that meat goes for them - so that's fine.

But I do buy chick wings and beef for them too (the wild meat doesn't last the whole year).

I wasn't even aware about this hormone-thing in the meat :roll: I only learned about it now. And I'm not even sure if I'll be able to afford for only myself (not even hubby). Only a few places sell 'natural' meat, and they are all so expensive.

Anyway, I do have one other option - someone told me to find out from farmers who don't put these hormones in their animals, and buy from them directly. So hopefully I'll find a farmer who can help me. (and if it's affordable, I'll def buy for doggies too)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

We buy a lot of the meat we actually buy (as opposed to catch/swap/find) straight from the farmer. And for dog meat you can get all the lopsided bits that nobody else wants and the farmers will LOVE you.

As Emms says, the meat that goes into dog food is every bit as full of hormones and antibiotics - we must never lose sight of the fact that dog food uses the cheapest food sources.

We have four freezers, because we tend to get a lot of meat at one time - it just works out that way, especially with the hunting seasons. We did have five, and I miss that extra freezer :lol:

***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Please keep your fingers crossed that I can find someone who can help me. I only want the best for Striker & Bibi. OH is on a mission today to find a farmer :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

FIVE freezers - i felt excessive at 1 chest freezer and a fridge-freezer!

Good luck in finding more affordable, healthy meat - thinking outside the box and asking people can work wonders, but also its easy for us in the UK to forget how cheap and available even the best quality meat actually is, in comparison with other countries.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

One freezer for us - four (now three) for the dogs.

A deer takes up a lot of freezer space, and we get a few hundred rabbits a year. then There is the stuff our nice butcher finds for us. Sometimes friends get lucky and share the results.

I do very much appreciate how fortunate we are.