Colitis & Not Eating - Boxer Pup

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

StevenHanna

Colitis & Not Eating - Boxer Pup

Post by StevenHanna »

Our 4.5 mth old boxer pup has been diagnosed with colitis. She has been passing blood in her stool which has been quite soft for a couple of weeks now. The vet has put her onto a 2 week course of anti-biotics and also gave her an injection to help reduce inflammation of her lower intestine.

However, since she has started her tablets, her appetite has deteriorated slightly and she is eating very little. She seems to take notions.

Is this something I should worry about? I have read many differing opinions on eating habits.... Do I try her on something very plain like rice/pasta & chicken? Do I keep trying her on her normal kibble and persevere? Do I just keep lifting the food if she doesn't eat and then hopefully she will eat when she is hungry enough? Or do I purposely fast her for 24hrs to give her tummy a rest? The vet thinks she may have quite a sensitive stomach.

Thanks in advance,
Steven
josie1918

Re: Colitis & Not Eating - Boxer Pup

Post by josie1918 »

It may well be the antibiotic that has upset her stomach, just as with humans it can. If this were my dog, I would try mixing some rice with some baby food (chicken, ham or turkey) for a few days, then start adding some of the regular kibble to the rice/baby food mix and see if she eats it, if she does add a little more of the kibble each day. Please note that rice and baby food are NOT suitable permanent puppy food. :D Also if your dog has a sensetive stomach and many do, try a puppy food such as chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, that has chickory root in for healthy digestion. You could also try giving puppy a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, plain pumpkin) each day, this is great for a healthy gut in dogs.