Eye Issue

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Eye Issue

Post by Leigha »

Last night we noticed that Dixie was keeping her eye closed a lot. When I tried to open it, it wasn't red or anything, but the inner eyelid seemed to be covering part of her eye. There was no discharge, but I took a rag and wiped around the area. Which I assume felt good to her because she pushed her head into my hand. She's still favoring that eye--she tries to flutter it open, but it won't stay open. Today there was a little discharge (it looked like normal eye booger) but still no real redness. She's not whimpering, she doesn't flinch when I touch around her eye. I'm not sure if maybe a puppy scratched her eye or if she's getting an infection.

So, in the mean time, 'til I can get her to the vet, is there anything I can do at home to help?
Fundog

Re: Eye Issue

Post by Fundog »

Go to a drugstore, like Walgreens and get some normal saline eye wash solution-- it's a standard in first aid kits, for rinsing out foreign objects like dust and specs of dirt and such. You can irrigate Dixie's eye with that, and applying a cold compress (not quite as cold as an ice pack-- really just a cold, damp washcloth) to the eye will help soothe swelling and irritation.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.