Worming

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Worming

Post by Leigha »

We wormed the puppies and Dixie on Thursday. And while I know I'm preaching to the choir, can I please just say how disgusting our lives have been since then? Their stools are looser, they're pooping up a storm and the stuff coming out of them is just nasty. How long is this going to last? Please tell me it's not going to be the whole two weeks til we do it again. I have to bathe all of the puppies today because someone pooed, then walked through it, then it got smeared all over several puppies when they were sleeping and I've just now noticed.

ugh!
emmabeth

Re: Worming

Post by emmabeth »

Nettle will know more.... but I wouldnt think it would last the entire two weeks... no. Are they eating real food yet? Chicken wings (tips) may help firm them up if kibble is making them loose (just offer these as one meal... and on a day you have time to watch the ensuing madness...!!!).

But yeah puppies poop... and stand in it... and trample it over everything, including each other.... uuuuuugh. Who says they are cute? Mad people!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No, this shouldn't go on. Their poop should be back to normal within a couple of days. Did you worm MommaDog too?

I'm afraid they do trail through poo - the way small children will trail their little fists in it given half a chance.

Your next four weeks will become an exercise in perpetual motion (pun intended). The shortest time interval known to Man is that between a pup pooping and walking through it.

It gets better............honestly :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Yeah, we wormed mom too. I had to put her wormer liquid in her food. I tried to squirt it in her mouth, but I ended up wearing it and it ended up on the floor, so I hope putting it in her food was okay. When we got her from the shelter they were super rough with her when they tried to worm her so I think she might have issues with us trying to put stuff in her mouth like that.

Considering what's coming out of them (how the heck can the puppies live with that up there?) is it safe to let Dixie clean up after them?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You need to go with the art of the possible - clean up yourself (wear rubber gloves) whenever you can to keep Dixie's cleaning up to a minimum, but don't beat yourself up for the times you miss.

You are keeping a good worming schedule, and it's inevitable with the neglect of Dixie's early days and quite probably her mother's too, that there will be a lot of worms. Thankfully wormers nowadays are pretty safe and effective - not like the old days of nicotine and areca nut!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Alrighty! I hate talking about this because it makes me feel like I have dirty puppies or something. I know it's normal, but ugh. Anyhow, so far we haven't seen anymore worms in their poo so I don't mind cleaning up. I just can't believe the puppies could live with that up there. It's awful, poor babies!

Thanks for walking me through the yuck!