constipation?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kaz4t

constipation?

Post by kaz4t »

How do I know if my pups are constipated?

Since changing them to barf/raw food we have less poop -yay!! but it is very firm, solid and sometimes very dry. Yesterday after stuffing them silly they produced putty colored soft poop.

Tonight they seem to be squatting and nothing is coming out, they do not seem stressed but what can I give them to help things along??

I just gave them some banana, about 2in each.

good grief I was not this bad when I had my own children LOL

if they were babies I would probably give them some warm water, but I can't make the puppies drink, they have water available inside and out.
kaz4t

Re: constipation?

Post by kaz4t »

and I was just thinking that they had not scratched much today when they started scratching a lot!! just after they had the banana, could they be allergic to banana? I suppose they could be allergic to anything.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

From everything I've read here and other places online, raw food = less poop. Idea is you're only giving them what they need, so they have very little "extra" to get rid of (like you would with low quality dog food, or just kibble in general). I'm sure Nettle will be here soon to the rescue. :lol:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I don't have an answer for you, but I changed to raw a few month ago, and my doggies' woo is now very small, dry, there is a part of it that is brown, and another part which is a off-white colour. If I remember correctly Nettle told me that the off-white part is the raw bones (like the bone in a chickie wing). They woo much less (as in less times a day and smaller amounts).

Ditto Noobs, I'm sure Nettle will be here soon :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Here I am, all ready to talk about poop :lol:

Less poop on raw food because more food is digested - with commercial food there is a LOT of filler, which you pay for and just gets pooped out.

The grey/white stuff is the digested bones.

Dogs can strain a bit when they start, but it is all to the good - it empties their anal glands the natural way, and strengthens their - erm - relevant muscles.

If they are very strainy and nothing has come out for a day, give some olive oil or butter (not margarine) - how much is some - say a tablespoonful AND be prepared for a dramatic result - you know the phrase "greased ****"? So make sure doggie can get outside because it may not get much warning!! But try and leave it to Nature.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
kaz4t

Post by kaz4t »

Thanks Nettle, ahh it really is like have babies all over again all this stress over what goes in one end and what comes out the other LOL

they are producing and do not seem to be in an distress so I will chill and just keep an eye on it

poop watch - what fun :lol:
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

When I'm blending veggies for the veggie mix I add a little bit of olive oil before freezing in cubes - even though it's really not alot, my doggies won't eat veggie mix without olive oil :roll:

Happy poop watching :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams