Milk??

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

StevenHanna

Milk??

Post by StevenHanna »

Am I correct in saying that it is ok to give your boxer goats milk, but to stay away from whole milk?

Steven
Nettle

Re: Milk??

Post by Nettle »

Milk is better not given to dogs at all after they have weaned. Before they are weaned, the only milk to give them is in their Mom.

Milk is not good for adult mammals as they lose the ability to digest it, and so get diarrhoea. It isn't much good to many of us either - loads of people have milk allergies.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Rupe loves milk, cream and vanilla ice cream and will steal them at any opportunity. Thankfully they don't upset his stomach and very occasionally we do give him some vanilla ice cream. It's hard to resist the "ohmygodit'stheicecreamvan!" dance he does, especially the look of utter disappointment on his face when you walk in with an ice cream for yourself but none for him.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Dammit, we need an edit feature, I didn't mean to click send then. Weirdly, all 3 dogs I've had have been nuts about milk and cream. I know it's not good for them and I know it can upset their stomachs (it certainly did upset Wolfs) but they've all been "gimme gimme gimme!" about it. Even Rupe who couldn't usually care less about food.

On topic though, it's not something I'd purposely try to add to a dogs diet. I found out about Ruperts love for milk and ice cream in his counter surfing days when I first got him. Even though he likes it and it doesn't upset his stomach he doesn't get it on a regular basis.