Labrador with water obsession

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mmay815

Labrador with water obsession

Post by mmay815 »

My 7 month old black lab puppy, Olive, has a serious OBSESSION with water. Her vet has given her the all clear (no underlying health problems) and my trainer thinks she has a true obsession. She comes to the sink when the water is on, she comes to the shower when the water is on, the toilet, the dishwasher, the washing maching, etc. We got her a small wading pool to try and desensitize her but all she does is drink it all. She also licks puddles and sidewalks. And watch out it if is raining because there is no stopping her. Any ideas? Please help!
Nettle

Re: Labrador with water obsession

Post by Nettle »

She's a LABRADOR :lol: they are bred from dogs that swam while working all day in the docks, went out on trawlers and swam in the sea - labradors are bred to be fixated on water!

There's nothing to stop - you have a perfectly normal labrador. Welcome water into your life..........
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

My black lab drinks the water at the beach which we dread b/c we know a runny stool is soon behind it. We end up taking back a bag full of sand and poo from the beach. Keep the pool clean and supplied with fresh water and enjoy the water play. I love watching Bailey around water b/c it brings her so much joy. Your lab is normal.
By the way, my Bailey sleeps in the shower and doesn't mind when I turn it on while she's in there (sometimes she refuses to move in the morning b/c she is not ready to get up). The joy of owning a lab.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Ditto the others- it's perfectly normal for a labrador :lol:

My mom has a labrador who is a wonderful dog, and she is her happiest when she can play in the water. She has a little kiddie splash pool - she enjoys it so much that my mom has to clean / fill it up several times a day some days :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

Oh, yes, labs and water! :lol: They do obsess over it, but that's just normal for them. My sister and her hubby have had labs all their lives. Some of them more water crazy than others. They had one in particular that sounds like your dog. She would just go nuts over the sound, sight or even smell of water. But somewhere around two years old, she calmed down about it some and after that was just normally obsessed. :mrgreen:
Enjoy your dog and know that she's just being what she was bred to be - a water lover. :)