oh dear,too early!!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dodge-white boxer

oh dear,too early!!

Post by dodge-white boxer »

Ok--I realize I will probably get told of by you guys now,but hand on heart we did not know any better :oops: !! I went through the posts today,just browsing,and came across one that made my heart sink to the bottom of the lowest point anywhere!
We ve had his fury little plums of when he was 8 1/2 month old,I wish the vet would ve told us that that is a real bad thing!
Read on the other post that puppies get mentally stuck at that age when done before they are adults and he ll be a "puppy" forever and that training will be harder and he wont really learn how to behave around other dogs because he thinks he should get the "puppy allowance"(cant remember how it was put into words).
Oh my god,does that mean he ll be forever rude around other dogs??
Is there some way to fix it with hormones( :?: :oops: :shock: not even sure if vets would do that??)
Oh dear,I feel so bad for my baby now,please go easy on me :lol: --no,go for it,dont hold back..............
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Mattie

Re: oh dear,too early!!

Post by Mattie »

What is done is done, you took advice, unfortunately it was the wrong advice, all it means you will have to work a lot harder to get the dog you want, it will keep you out of mischief. :lol:

I had a Staffy/Cairn Terrorist who was spayed early, she never matured mentally but was adorable, so comical at times and thought when I told all the dogs to do something I didn't mean her :lol: She did become well mannered but it took a lot of work, I do miss her. :cry:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
dodge-white boxer

Jeeze,thank you--so there is nothing we can do to "undo" this error apart from working hard? You cant imagine how awfull I feel about this :oops: ! He will never ever "feel" like an adult now then,is that what it means? OMG-I we turned him into a mentally backwards dog then (in the future :?: ) what a punishment!! Adorable he is no end,and if it means he ll stay as comical as he s now,well that aint too bad :wink: , no really I do feel bad!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Not all dogs stay young mentally, so do mature, he may be one of them. I don't think you will be able to tell the difference with a Boxer though, they never grow up mentally even when they are not neutered. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't feel bad )))))))))HUG((((((((((( you did what you thought was best, and it's tough on a lot of dog owners that many vets are either not aware of the pitfalls of early neutering, or else don't care.

You have the dog you have: all is not lost, and he will develop the best he can, and we will help you both over the mountains. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Keeping their furry little plums till they're supposedly mature doesn't always mean they are mature, just ask Rupert :lol: I tell him he's a doggy Peter Pan.
dodge-white boxer

Thanx guys--I wish I would ve found this forum waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy earlier :!: :!: I do hope that he will mature dispite of it--I only want him to be able to be polite around other dogs,other than that he is pretty awesome.Have heard that they do stay puppy-like all the way through adult hood,but didnt really want to "make" him stay like it :lol: !
Thank you for the hugs,appreciate them!! Shouldn t vets know these things,or do they want to make sure they get the buisness before puppy owners find out the truth :?: :shock: :?: Will make sure to double check on here with everything I get told now :evil:
THANK YOU :wink: :!:
oops,another reply,can I have Ruperts number,please--I ll have a good chat to him :lol: :lol: :wink:
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Shouldn t vets know these things,or do they want to make sure they get the buisness before puppy owners find out the truth
Maybe they're trying to stop accidental litters? Rupert's number is 666 by the way :lol:
dodge-white boxer

LIAR !!!! Tried it and got some old bloke thinking he got lucky :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!
Ok,back to being serious( :roll: ) I can understand not wanting accidental litters,I was just wondering whether or not they should be responsible enough to let puppy/future adult dog owners know what s going to happen to the dogs mental state,I m pretty disappointed that this issue was not pointed out at the time,like Mattie said,its done now and its just very
unfortunate that I cannot change things, :( ---- just thought I keep this issue up top for other puppy owners to not make the same mistake as us-----------------------hopefully they ll find this forum earlier then I did, :D :D :D
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

When I adopted Bruiser from a rescue organization I had to sign a contract saying I would have him neutered no later than 6 months. We didn't learn until later that they don't check on that, so really we could have let Bruiser keep his "manhood" 'til he matured mentally, but we just didn't know, and I didn't want to risk them repossessing my dog. Here, when dogs are brought into shelters they're spayed/neutered before they're adopted out, regardless of age. I think (at least in the US) the concern is that there are more irresponsible owners than responsible ones.
dodge-white boxer

Did you find that "advise"/contract quite rude? How did he turn out,is he mature now or did you have any problems with him with other dogs(being rude,like dodge obviously is :oops: ) I will go over your posts when I ve got some more time,so many people on here and I kind a get muddled up with who s who with what dogs :lol: :lol: --{{mind you,I do know that you are the one with the gorgeous puppies and I do admire you for how well you re doing!!!}}I must be quite easy to remember maybe cause I m sooooooooooo clueless really :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Right now he's a teenage misfit hooligan pain in my butt, so I have no clue if he'll mature properly or not--or if he'll survive that long (I might have cinderblocks tied to his tail and dump him in the river if he doesn't get it together).

(That was a joke--for those who are now shocked)
meggit

Post by meggit »

you can borrow my concrete boots any time leigha :wink: :D
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I've mentioned this before, but it is a very good example: Because we got Annie from the animal shelter, we had to sign a contract promising to have her spayed before she reached sexual maturity, or face a huge fine, and possible repossession of the dog. This is really par for the course in U.S. animal shelters and rescues they days. So we had Annie spayed at four months old-- just a little baby. I'm happy to say she has matured into a lovely, sensible, well-behaved, well mannered lady. :D On the other hand, we've got Dottie, another rescue. She was a year old when she was spayed by the rescue, and her teat development tells us she had already had at least one heat cycle. She is 2 1/2 years old, and still very much a puppy. A lot of this really depends not only upon breeding and hormones, but also in the way they are raised. Dottie never had a real puppyhood, having been severely neglected and under-stimulated. As a result, she is now making up for lost time. It is also interesting to note that Dottie suffered some cognitive delays/mild retardation as a result of her neglect, but since she has been with us and given many stimulating activities to encourage her thinking, she has improved immensely. We got Annie when she was just three months old, and we have given her a lot of activities and experiences to encourage her brain development and intelligence. It is quite possible to over come the effects of pre-mature neutering. Being "fixed" in puppy hood is only a myth in the right environment. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
dodge-white boxer

:lol: thats for Leigha and Meggit :lol: you made me laugh! Well, I m glad that we re not the only ones that ve done it,I suppose animal shelters and rescue homes just want to make sure that no more dogs end up in the position of the dogs that are in their care.I can kind of understand that,but they should know that people that are getting a dog or puppy from them must have the best intentions--so you would make sure that they wouldnt mate ( :?: ),I didnt want dodge to "make" more puppies just in case they would end up in a rubbish household.But I wouldnt have it done again so early.Fundog,its really good to know that he should be fine with training,you all made me feel less guilty now,thank you very much for that :D