Humping as play?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Humping as play?

Post by Leigha »

Bruiser never humped before he was neutered. He learned how to hump after he was neutered. He only did it at the dog park until we brought home Dixie, then he tried humping her, but I think that's lost appeal to him. Well today was beautiful so we took him out to the dog park. The dog park was all hounds and HUGE dogs (english mastiff, saint bernard, BIG dogs). All of the hounds started humping each other. One dog did it to Bruiser first, then it was nonstop--they would try to hump each other constantly. They'd get up on their hing legs and kind of wrestle with each other. At first they seemed okay, but the other dog would not stop and Bru kind of had enough so we peeled the other dog off and took Bruiser to the other side of the dog park...where the other dog promptly followed. It wouldn't be so bad if people would follow their dogs like we do, but no, chickie was on the other side of the park sitting on a bench with her friends. Anyhow, the whole "issue" is that Bruiser's last straw was when he and the humper were playing and humping each other, three other dogs tried to join in on the fun and it just all became way too much for Bruiser, so he had a slight meltdown. This one was mild in comparison to normal meltdowns. I didn't get bitten or anything!

So I guess all of that was necessary to lead my to this question--how much humping is okay? How do I get Bruiser to not do it? It seems like Bruiser's fine to be the humper, but doesn't want to be the humpee. Is the standing on the backlegs and "hugging" play or is it building up to something more? Most of the time Bruiser seemed fine. Had the stupid silly grin, friendly wag, no growling. He got slightly irritated with the other dog when he didn't catch the clue that Bruiser wanted a break. And why in the heck is Bruiser all of a sudden a humping fiend when he hasn't had any lipstick in the tube for almost a year?
dontpugme

Re: Humping as play?

Post by dontpugme »

Whoa..i went to the dog park today too, and it was all biggies (great dane, mastifs, big labs) :shock:
--dontpugme
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its not really play.. its more a control/insecurity/anxiety thing... sort of testing the waters and seeing who can do what to who, where do I stand with you..

I kinda think of it like guys talking BS in a bar... who can tell the tallest tale... who has the biggest kahunas...

We all know really its the quiet guy at the other end of the bar who says nothing and drinks his drink in peace.. but boys will be boys!

I dont tend to worry about it too much if everyone is up for the same sort of thing, but its a high stress situation and the up on the hind legs paws on shoulders thing is quite rude (though if everyones doing it....) .. if it sorts itself out quickly its no big deal, but if it carries on and gets silly... then someone ends up losing their rag (and its usually the little guy!).

Do other owners really just sit there whilst their dogs are bullying other peoples dogs... and totally ignore it? Jeeeeeez i hope we never get Dog Parks in the uk.. I really do!

As to why Bru is doing it now... things are a little unsettled, and other dogs have demonstrated it... its worth a try!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

emmabeth wrote: Do other owners really just sit there whilst their dogs are bullying other peoples dogs... and totally ignore it?
Yep, they really do. Or they'll say "Oh, it's okay... my dog's really sweet." To which I have to reply, "Yes, well mine can go from happily playing to not having fun anymore pretty quickly, and he's getting pretty close to his limit." Which then makes them keep their dog away from mine because he sounds psychotic. But mostly they ignore--they bring a book and sit on the benches or they talk on their cell phone or have a smoke (which I don't care if people smoke--I used to, but the sign says NOT to). I really wish they'd take the stupid benches out of the park.
emmabeth wrote:i hope we never get Dog Parks in the uk
It's the only area we can have dogs off-leash other than your own backyard, I just wish it was more strictly regulated somehow. The rules are posted, but there are many more irresponsible owners than responsible ones, so that doesn't do a lot of good. And there's a COMPLAINT BOX for you to fill out a paper if there's an "incident" but that's it. The park really didn't used to be awful, but it might just be that it's spring and the college is still in session. I'm hoping that once summer comes it'll get better. We're going to start waiting 'til later though--it's supposed to close at sunset, but I think we're going to start going a little before sunset and staying a little after (it won't be DARK). It's usually not as packed then, and Bruiser has a friend he used to play with that goes then.

Both dogs were doing the paws on shoulder thing. Out of all of those dogs yesterday playing the humping game Bruiser was the only neutered one out of the bunch. There was one other altered dog (who actually happened to be from the same litter as Bruiser we learned) but they didn't play the "game", they kind of chased and played and chest bumped each other.

I'll just keep him away from all of that next time, or make sure I bring a long line with me so if I can tell he won't be able to deal well with it we'll just play on the line in the big field next to the park.
emmabeth wrote:its more a control/insecurity/anxiety thing
What can I do to make him feel more secure?

Oh--forgot to mention this last night when I was posting. As we were trying to leave the dog park there was a parade of dogs coming in one after another so we had to wait several minutes before we could actually leave (we follow the one dog in the "hallway" at a time rule), and normally Bruiser is incredibly leash reactive, so I got him in the corner over by the door and had him sit for me and stood in front of him so that he could look around my legs, but I could block the other dogs and he DID NOT react! I was very proud of both of us.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Max was fixed at a very young age (6 wks) & he started humping around 7/8 mths. He wrestles with doggie friends and humping always happens. Max handles himself & snaps at the humper, but then he'll try to hump & round & round it goes.When he is overwhelmed he'll come to me & get up on the bench with me to take a break. I do sit on the bench but I watch the dogs. Max also likes to 'pin' other dogs by getting them on their backs & he'll stand over/straddle them while they exchange play bites. Dogs hump, fixed or not. Female dogs too. My friend's girl bichon always humps her sister. a chihuahua. The more Bru goes to the park the more he'll learn how to handle himself in a wrestling/humping match. Unless his hackles are up, & showing teeth I would just let them plzy.
dodge-white boxer

Post by dodge-white boxer »

[quote="maximoo"]Max was fixed at a very young age (6 wks)
Do you mean being neutered?
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

dodge-white boxer wrote:
maximoo wrote:Max was fixed at a very young age (6 wks)
Do you mean being neutered?

yeah--fixed is neutered
dodge-white boxer

Jeeze,and I felt real bad to have dodge "fixed"( :lol: )at 81/2 month (still do! But listening to you guys makes me feel a tiny bit better!!!) His ballies have not even "dropped"then surely? We was told once they was "dropped" it would be good to have him done-never mind, have got a seperate post to this one :mrgreen: ----------- Vets-spit :cry: ,xxx
Was just shocked about the age,thats why I asked,to make sure it meant what I thought it meant--and you confirmed it--hope that made sense and Yes I m still shocked to have done it myself at the age we ve done it to dodge, :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I think it's very sad to have a word like "fixed" for neutering - as if the dog was "wrong" until it had surgery :(
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I agree--I think it's a ploy to make those of us who don't know about canine behavior/development that if we have this done it's going to FIX all of the behavior problems we're having with our dogs.
dodge-white boxer

I did not do it for behaviour reasons,very quick assumption to do about people that had the advice to have it done!!!!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

dodge-white boxer wrote:I did not do it for behaviour reasons,very quick assumption to do about people that had the advice to have it done!!!!
Not sure if you took my comment as an offense, it wasn't meant as one. It was intended as me saying I think we, the vast majority of people (who don't know about animal behavior and development) are told to "fix" our dog because it's better for the dog, they'll stop marking or being "dominant" and we take the advice because we're trusting an animal health professional with what they said. I didn't say that all dog owners do it for behavior reasons, nor was it an assumption I made (or intended to convey). I obviously didn't fix mine for behavior reasons. I did it because it was in a contract that I HAD to.

It wasn't a "shame on those people who 'fix' their dogs." It was a "shame on those people who tell dog owners to 'fix' their dogs too early."
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Leigha wrote:
dodge-white boxer wrote:I did not do it for behaviour reasons,very quick assumption to do about people that had the advice to have it done!!!!
Not sure if you took my comment as an offense, it wasn't meant as one. It was intended as me saying I think we, the vast majority of people (who don't know about animal behavior and development) are told to "fix" our dog because it's better for the dog, they'll stop marking or being "dominant" and we take the advice because we're trusting an animal health professional with what they said. I didn't say that all dog owners do it for behavior reasons, nor was it an assumption I made (or intended to convey). I obviously didn't fix mine for behavior reasons. I did it because it was in a contract that I HAD to.

It wasn't a "shame on those people who 'fix' their dogs." It was a "shame on those people who tell dog owners to 'fix' their dogs too early."

Same here. It was NO criticism of anyone here. I know only too well the pressure people come under. I am still asked by complete strangers WHEN (not if) I am going to have my dogs neutered!!!! And my dogs are no trouble to anyone.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
dodge-white boxer

Oh dear, :oops: ,yes,totally misunderstood!!! Sorry,xxxxx
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

dodge-white boxer wrote:Oh dear, :oops: ,yes,totally misunderstood!!! Sorry,xxxxx
Don't be sorry--it's one of the pitfalls of the internet, you can't always convey exactly what you mean, exactly how you mean it.