puppy treats

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dixies momma

puppy treats

Post by Dixies momma »

i would like to know something..i have ol roy dog biscuits i broke up in small pieces and did some training with my puppy. my bf took her out and said he noticed her poo was green and really soft mushy like. so i used a diff type its the canine carry outs, again broke in small pieces and did some training. when i got home last night, my bf tells me she has the runny poo. has anyone experienced this? and what can i use treat wise when training that wont give her runny or mushy poos? thanks!
Jake n Dixies momma
***Melissa***

Re: puppy treats

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I can't comment on the treats you are currently using, bc I'm not familiar with those, but if the runny tummy continues you might wanna take her to the vet...(I'm not an expert, but that is something I would do)

As for the treats, I use hot dog sausages, cheese, dried liver, dried fish - all cut up in really tiny pieces. I also use cheese spread, peanut butter (tiiiiny amounts), and fish spread - I let them lick it off a spoon (only one lick at a time). - I can't say that these are the healthiest treats ever, but my doggies won't work for something 'normal'. I just make sure the pieces are really tiny. So far they didn't have any tummy problems with these treats.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Wes

Post by Wes »

I'm not sure if it's a pit bull thing, but my Rosie and the foster pup we had before Rosie both had *very* sensitive stomachs. The only treats I can feed Rosie are the Natural Balance food rolls (and the little bite-sized treats of the same brand) or freeze-dried liver/chicken. Anything else and she gets very runny poos. For people food though, she can have small bits of string cheese, hot dogs, or boiled chicken, though too much of any of those gives her the runs.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

If you can use Natural Balance food rolls cut up into tiny pieces that would work. Also hotdogs, chicken, cheese (I've used all of the above and more)... and make sure you're accounting for it in your dog's daily food. The more treats they get during training, the less they get in their meals.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

By the way, I also use Canine Carryouts once in a while, but I'd prefer to use the other stuff. Canine Carryouts might as well be Doritos. :lol:
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

many thanks for the info. i have been giving small cut up bits of hot dogs. she loves it and seems to have no trouble. currently she know the touch, sit, five, lay, sit-stay-wait-come.....the touch and five she knows the hand signals and b4 i can say the word shes put it into action. we are trying the roll over thing.....that may need some work...
Jake n Dixies momma
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Sounds good! You are doing well with her
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams