8 month old puppy had surgery

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CEK40

8 month old puppy had surgery

Post by CEK40 »

Hi,

My 8 month old "grandpuppy" (weimaraner/amstaff/pit mix we think) was sent to a internist by his regular vet because of continual minor stomach issues. He has a habit of eating sticks, paper and wood. For the last month we can only let him outside with a lease on to keep him from eating anything that he is not suppose to. The internist found several enlarged mesenteric lymph nodes after an ultrasound several weeks ago. After a needle biopsy (neg results) and a course of 2 antibotics the recheck ultrasound found the lymph nodes still there unchanged. So off to the surgeon.

Yesterday he had exploratory abdominal surgery. I picked him up today and the surgeon said that all his vital organs looked good but that they found all the lymph nodes in his abdomen were enlarged. They did biopsys of the lymph nodes and of his entire digestive system from different areas and found that the Peyer Patches which are lymph like things in the small and large intesting were enlarged and that they are usually microscopic and not big enough to see, but his were. They biopsys were sent off and we won't know anything for 3-8 days for the results.

I am sorry this is so long but I guess I was wondering if anyone else out that had any simular problems.

The other question I have for anyone out there is what can I do to occupy him since he is wearing a e-collar and has to be crated for 14 days and can only come out to go the the bathroom. I am not sure what we will do. He has a pain patch on till Sunday and then no other medication. I may have to get him something to help him with the anxiety of being shut up for so long because he is only a puppy and just wants to play. This is going to be a LONG 14 days I am sure.

Thanks for reading.

Carla in VA
Mattie

Re: 8 month old puppy had surgery

Post by Mattie »

I am sorry Carla, I am sending your pup Reiki to help him recover.

You can feed him all his food in a Kong or buster ball, this will help keep him occupied for a while. Also teach him mind games, there is a thread in the Articles section I think. Clicker training may help as well, nothing strenous, just simple things.

I give my dogs Arnica 30 after they have had and form of surgery, I find it helps with their pain, it helped me when I had one of my hips replaced.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]