side effects injeccions

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

valles

side effects injeccions

Post by valles »

Hello from spain. Last year I adopted a spaniel breton, and I decided to give her the injections "anticelo" not to get pregnant because I had an old male dog. In the third vaccination, I notice that in the area where they put the injection lost epidermal mass. The vet had never seen this reaction, usually they lose hair (something it has lost but not completed). Well, the vet gave me natural pills to help( 'primrose' and beer yeast). But no change. If somebody can help me. I'll try anything to get it off.
Thanks a lot.
P.S. Don't give that kind of injeccions to the dog!!!!
emmabeth

Re: side effects injeccions

Post by emmabeth »

Bump! Sorry we seem to have missed this - that does sound very odd, did your vet notify the drug manufacturer of the adverse reaction/strange side effect at all?

I would perhaps PM Duffy on here (he is a vet) and see what he thinks? Though a second opinion from another vet who can actually see your dog would be wise.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Duffy Jones

Re: side effects injeccions

Post by Duffy Jones »

Sorry I have been busy lately and not able to check this forum. Please know that you can always send me a private message.

Since we usually spay and neuter most of our pets in the US we do not use this injection very often. I am assuming the injection is a progesterone type drug which would surpress the heat cycle. Since this is a hormone then it could cause inflammation and therefore a mass. The other thing that could be happening is that some pets will have inflammatory reactions to any injection - it is actually a reaction to the needle going in the skin and not necessarily the drug. It also could be an injection at the injection site. I would recommend having this looked at very soon and if there have not been reports of this kind of thing happening with this drug then I would remove it as soon as I could and send it to the lab. We do have tumors that can happen at injection sites (mostly in cats) and so therefore getting it off as soon as you can and sending it to the lab for analysis would be wise.

I am so sorry you have having to deal with this. I know you are worried. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com