Chew warning

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Chew warning

Post by Sarah83 »

Hope it's alright to post this here.

We often get Rupert the huge hide chews from Pets At Home because he loves to tear them to bits. A few weeks ago he was sick and threw up a load of brown gunk mixed with pieces of what looked like this chew but were a weird brown colour. When I checked the chew the inside of it was all brown and sort of crystallized. Last night we cut one open to find this one was the same inside, brown and crystallized rather than the same whiteish colour all the way through. The chews are the really big ones and cost about £10 each. The sort in this pic.

I know bones are better for them and we'll be sticking to those now but he really loved to tear pieces off those chews.
Sarah83

Re: Chew warning

Post by Sarah83 »

Oops, hit send too soon. Wanted to say that he's had these many times and there's never been a problem but if anyone does get these and their dog gets Dire Rear or throws up you might want to check the chew. Could just be a bad batch or something, we're going to take the one we cut up last night back and see what they say.
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Can't speak for the UK, but I know for a fact in the U.S. you really need to watch WHERE the rawhide chews come from.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I used to buy raw hide bones for Striker when he was a puppy, but it made him really sick. Later I read that the chemicals or something used on them aren't healthy for doggies. Not sure if you do get raw hide that are fine to use though.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams