Post-puppy poopies...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Post-puppy poopies...

Post by Leigha »

Dixie has had the most awful gas since having the puppies, and she only poops once a day but ooooh buddy those poops are god awful. They start off solid and firm (and black?) but then they squish into a wet mess. She's been this way on both of her post birthing poops. Is this normal? Should I change what she's been eating?

She's been having deer meat I cooked in the crockpot with celery and carrots, yogurt, two spoons full of veggie baby food (I ran out of veggie cube mush and that was the easiest thing for me to tell J to pick up) some peanut butter and a teaspoon or so of calf manna.

If it's normal I'll be okay with it, but goodness gracious they're yucky.
Horace's Mum

Re: Post-puppy poopies...

Post by Horace's Mum »

Hey, can't remember who said it (maybe Nettle?) but on the other thread someone said that eating the placenta is very rich and might upset her stomach a bit. If she is well enough in herself and eating then I wouldn't panic just yet, just buy a nose plug! Her hormones will be all over the place too, that might have an effect as well. :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh yeah, that's right, Nettle did say that! I remember when my cat had kittens, her stools were really loose for the first couple of days as well. And you have to remember that now all those puppies are out, her bowels have a lot more room to function with, so there is likely to be a lot of gas gurgling around. As her pups nurse, her uterine muscles will continue to contract down, and that will help to restore all the other things that got temporarily displaced by the puppies to their appropriate place and function. I remember after I had my own babies, I was really loose the first couple of days as well-- of course, they were giving me something to help with that, so I wouldn't hurt my bottom. :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Brace yourself - for hideous wind :shock: lots of discharge (it's good: it needs to come out) and appalling poop. This will go on for at least 3 weeks and the discharge can continue for longer.

Don't let her lick your face while she's clearing up after the puppies - she's swallowing all their pee and poop as well.

I have my pups in the bedroom for the first 3 weeks and I may have sustained brain damage from the horrible wind! :cry:

Erm - do you realise you need to wom pups and Mum every 2-3 weeks from 2 weeks old? You need special puppy wormer and the easiest way is to get liquid and syringe it in. The worms are NOT YOUR FAULT all pups are born with worms.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Nettle wrote:Erm - do you realise you need to wom pups and Mum every 2-3 weeks from 2 weeks old? You need special puppy wormer and the easiest way is to get liquid and syringe it in. The worms are NOT YOUR FAULT all pups are born with worms.
Nope, I surely didn't realize that. I know they sell the worming treatments at petsmart and tractor supply. I guess the directions are on the label?

Dixie still refuses to give me face kisses, so I don't have to worry about that. She kisses J though, so I'll tell him.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Be careful with pet shop wormers - over here they are not man enough for the job. We can only get proper wormers from the vet.

I use Drontal Puppy. If you can get that over the counter, it's pretty good and safe too.

Enjoy the next two weeks - the real work starts at 3 weeks. For the first fortnight MummyDog does most of it and you can wallow in maternal bliss. I do. :D

Time spent with puppies is never wasted.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS