I need to put some weight on my girl

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BCMumto3

I need to put some weight on my girl

Post by BCMumto3 »

Gypsy has always been a thin girl ... but since she's been spayed she seems even thinner , if thats possible
in herself she's healthy and the vet is happy with her , I guess id just be happier if she had a bit more meat on her bones

so, whats the best food I can give her to help her put on some weight ?
I was thinking raw liver , eggs , cheese (obviously not all at once , lol) extra to her regular meals.
My OH is saying feed her McDonalds , but I wouldnt give that to my worst enemy , though I do like their milk(fat)shakes
Nettle

Re: I need to put some weight on my girl

Post by Nettle »

The best way to put weight on a dog is to feed fatty meat e.g. raw breast of lamb, bones and all, or tripe if you can get it (and can stand the smell :shock: ). Keep away from the liver except as an occasional treat as it can result in an overdose of Vitamin A.

Has your vet taken bloods and tested for organ function? Does your vet say your dog is too thin? What breed is your dog? What do you feed at the moment, and how much?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Hi, is Gypsy in the first pic of this post?

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5396&p=34778#p34778
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

Noobs ... yes thats my little girl :)

Gypsy is a border collie ... both her parents were working farm dogs , her Mum was a lean girl , her Dad was a bit thicker in the body but again was a slim lad , both dogs were healthy and happy BC's when we met them , Gypsy is a lot like her Mum bodywise
The vet says she's just a normal lean BC girl , He saw her last week to check on her stitches (she was spayed three weeks ago now) and he is very happy with her ... every time she's been to the vets since she was a pup i've asked about her weight and he tells me its just who she is and I should stop worrying ... but I guess I cant when whenever I stroke her I can feel her ribs , even though you cant see them

she's very energetic , always has been since we collected her from the farm when she was 10 weeks old , she loves to run , she's never happier than when she has something to do , of all my dogs she can be the most demanding , always wanting to be on the go , but she's my princess , theres nothing I wont do for her

Im going to start giving her raw tripe a couple of times a week as well as her regular meals , i've been told its great for putting weight on dogs ... i'll also let the boys have some too , but in their case it will be inplace of one of their meals .... neither Toffee nor Teddy need to gain or lose any weight , but I cant have them sniffing that stinky goodness and feeling deprived , lol