fish for dogs

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

fish for dogs

Post by meggit »

can buddy have small fish the supermarket near me have fresh whole spratts (little tiny fish) on sale can i give them to buddy whole or do i have to buy boned fish.
Fundog

Re: fish for dogs

Post by Fundog »

Are what you're talking about kind of like sardines? Sardines are fine.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes but freeze them for a month first as fish can carry some nasty parasites.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
heronfisher

Post by heronfisher »

As for the actual question here, I honestly dont know... I'd think though that the small bones could possibly be quite harmful, as BARF diet or not, certain bones arent good for dogs, period. Such as chicken bones which split and when broken, have quite sharp ends.
I only feed RAW fish or human grade sardines or Salmon. My dogs eat the fish whole. They love every part of RAW sardines and whiting.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

heronfisher wrote:certain bones arent good for dogs, period. Such as chicken bones which split and when broken, have quite sharp ends.
Actually, raw chicken bones are not bad for dogs. It's when they are cooked that causes them to splinter and become sharp. My boys eat raw chicken wings or drummettes several times a week and are fine and have never had a problem.

(Look Nettle, Emms, and Mattie--I LEARNED! :) )
dodge-white boxer

Post by dodge-white boxer »

:lol: :lol: LOVE THE WAY YOUR CHUFFED :lol: :lol:
Maybe one day I ll have read enough posts that I would know an answer "just like that" :lol: bet the experts ll be proud of you!!!
dodge-white boxer

Post by dodge-white boxer »

Just another quick question--- what are drummettes? :roll: drum sticks?? :roll: hope I dont sound daft :lol:
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Imagine the whole chicken wing as a human's arm--what's sold as the "wing" is like your forearm (elbow down). The Drummette (which looks like a tiny drumstick) is the upper arm (elbow up). At least this is how it was explained to me because I am not the most knowledgeable of cooking related things. Bruiser has actually moved on to eating a drumstick because he eats so much that it's cheaper for me to buy drumsticks than wings/drummettes. At first I was worried because it's weight bearing, but someone (Mattie, Nettle, or Emm) said that chickens are often not long-lived enough for it to matter, so we've been doing drumsticks.