Overweight Weenie

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Re: Overweight Weenie

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Thanx Em, you made me feel less guilty :)

At the moment he's getting more veggies than meat...that's also fine, or not?

So a little food goes a long way...and increasing / decreasing only a little will make a big difference in their weight?

:twisted: I like your :idea: of cutting the wings and giving him the skinnier bits...I wish I could come up with ideas like that.

If you go by the piccies (I know it's difficult to go on pics), do you think he has a lot of weight to loose?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Something I forgot to ask...

Which one of the two is better exercise: Lead Walking or Free Running. I'm asking, b/c we are working on loose lead walking (he's doing really super well) but we have some probs we're working on with other dogs yelling at him on walkies, which upset him (Mattie is guiding us on what to do :D , but it's still a work in progress).

I can arrange for (more) free running (it's less convenient but obviously I don't mind), but that will mean less lead walk time. (Have to be home before dark due to crime). On weekends we have all the time in the world though.

So for exercise-purposes, which one will be better to do more of? Lead walking or free running?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Someone told me a while ago, that dogs don't care so much about the size as they do about the number. Don't know how true that is, but it's what was told to me.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mr. Nettle's terrier (down to one now) gets per day either:

One heaped tablespoon of meat plus the same of veg.
Two chicken wings
One boned-out chicken carcase
A piece of red meat half the size of her head
A strip of ribs about four inches square.

She is a working terrier and gets lots of exercise.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

:shock: That's a whole lot more meat than veggies! But I assume it's fine if Striker gets more veggies than meat at the moment?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep, because Strikers doing Diet camp its fine. If he gets a bit erm, squitty.... you might have to just do smaller meals as a whole rather than bulking them out with more veg.. but he should lose the excess pretty quick he really isnt THAT big (I have seen some HUGELY overweight dogs!).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sorry, I should have added that there are veggies on offer pretty much every day - big ones for chewing on and growing ones for grazing. But we only feed liquidised veggies with mince, and we feed mince - when we feed it! All very casual. :lol:

There is no 'wrong' way, and dieting dogs need more veggies than meat. Ours aren't dieting. :)

***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I was so mad at my OH. He works away on different projects during the week (most of the time) and is only home on weekends. So Thursday night when he came back I told him Striker is on a diet, so no matter how sorry he feels for Strikes with his "I'd-love-you-even-more-if-I-can-have-something-nice-to-eat-eyes", he may not give him anything to eat (except carrots :twisted: I'm the one preparing their meals). So guess what, I cought him secretly stuffing Striker's face with meat!!!!!!!! :evil: His defence: He looked hungry. :roll:

But it's sorted out now, and he promised not to help Striker cheat on his diet again.

How long would it be before I can expect to see a change? Meaning that, if I don't see a change after __ days then I have to cut back even more.
bubbles99205

Post by bubbles99205 »

I am curious. I thought giving dogs chicken bones were bad for them. The bones in the wings are okay though, I have 2 dachshunds and they would like something like that. Female is 7# Male is 11#
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Raw bones are fine: it's cooked bones of any sort, from any creature, that are dangerous.