bones

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

bones

Post by meggit »

hi again yea its me with more questions :oops: buddy has started chewing the corners of the kitchen cupboards at night , i do leave him with the toys he loves to chew when we go to bed and he can get outside via the cat flap but im sure its just boredom so i thought i would try a bone, so ok what kind of bone do i need just any big bone or has it got to be a paticular bone i have read on here a big meaty bone but what type.thanks again in advance for your help :D
Fundog

Re: bones

Post by Fundog »

The best ones to get are rib bones. If you can spare the expense/get them on sale, it is really nice to pick up a whole slab of ribs, then separate them and put them into a freezer bag-- Mmmm.... "beefy-pops!" :D They are my girls' favorites. Problem is, all the humans get a bit jealous for them. :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

The day we fed ours beef ribs, Bruiser worked on his for 2 hours 'til I took it away.
meggit

Post by meggit »

buddy is only 11 weeks old can he have rib bones :?:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I don't see why not. He could no doubt handle a rib bone much more easily than a big femur bone, thereby keeping his attention for longer.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I think I remember Nettle saying she took puppies straight from mom's milk to raw food. But I could be wrong--or maybe there were steps in between there.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No steps - they were chowing down on mince from three weeks (actually two and a half but this is early) chicken wings and carcases at four weeks and from then on any raw meaty bones were relished. Of course they can't eat whole big bones at that age but they can spend happy hours chewinng off the meat and gnawing at bone ends.

If Emms can help me :oops: I can put some pics up later.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
meggit

Post by meggit »

thanks all off to the shops this morning to buy some ribs its got to be cheaper than kitchen units :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If you email me some pics Nettle ill post them for ya :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Keep pup out of kitchen unsupervised, and do try the bitter apple spray. My boy chewed the crnrs of my new 5 in baseboards(not much tho) I sprayed the bitter apple on them as well as cable wires as he left them alone. It has to be sprayed daily until you know she won't touch anymore .Now some dogs don't mind the taste & will chew the object anyway, but I think they are the exception. It doesn't hurt to try. So get those meaty bones, stuffed KONGS & prevent opportunity as much as possible. This is just her teething stage but chewing wrong things can become a habit, or a plea for attention later on.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

As promised, some of Nettles pups, scoffing raw dinners!

Being a baby puppy definately does not mean they cannot eat raw meaty bones - those teeth are sharp for a reason!
meggit

Post by meggit »

wow thanks for the pics they are beutiful pups and has made OH much easier about this raw feeding and now that im on week 2 of raw feeding buddy has so much more energy and is looking really good
thanks all for the help you have been to us and big puppy liks from buddy
meggit

Post by meggit »

one more probabbly silly question but can it be the bone from any animal or is it better to stick to lamb or beef ( breast/rib of lamb/beef)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Any really - as long as its either for human consumption (so you know its clean) or its been frozen properly for a good long while, then you'll be ok. Stick to non-weight bearing bones where possible, though legbones from poultry dont tend to be weight bearing for very long as poultry for human food doesnt live very long! (a couple of months if that).
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Max is 42 lbs. Sometimes I give him 1 frozen raw chicken leg, which he eats in about 5 mts. Should I give him 2 legs?