bones

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: bones

Post by Nettle »

If he's a bit fat, no: if he's a bit thin, yes, if he's still growing, yes unless he's too fat, if he's just right carry on with what you are doing :) it's that easy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

OK he is just right 8) :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shouldn't some of you be telling me how BEEEYOOTIFUL my puppies were? :(

Leigha

Post by Leigha »

They were beeeyootiful!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Nettle, the pics of your pups eating raw made me -- for a hot minute -- want to raise a pup of my own. *sigh* GORGEOUS.

But I wouldn't do it unless I had the time, and that's not going to happen for a while.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

what breed are they? They are so-o-o CUTE!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I forgot to say..... if I had seen the one with the flashy whites, eating the pear in the piccie.... I would have hotfotted it down south and grovelled at your door! I am SUCH a sucker for a flashy looking pup!

They are all beautifuls, and now you need to supply piccies of how they grew up if you have any?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Nettle, your puppies are veeeeeery beeeyoootiful :)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

THANK YOU :D

I do miss them. I see quite a few of them and regularly hear from the other owners - so lucky with my puppy owners but I do choose them carefully.

I'll send some pics later, Emms

Maximoo, they are lurcher pups

I say that was my last litter - I'm getting past all the work, and raising pups properly is very hard work - but I'm a woman and I can change my mind :lol:

emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am fervently hoping you do... and neatly time it to coincide with me having space for a poooooooopie...Twas terriiiiibly mean of you not to time it thoughtfully last time! tsk tsk!!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
kaz4t

Post by kaz4t »

I have changed my pups to a BARF diet, mainly because I am still learning the raw food and bone thing.

We gave them chicken wings last night for dinner, one each

today they had 100g of BARF mince each at 8am- it did not look like enough and a chicken wing again tonight, about 7:30pm, they also had dry kibble in a kong each, in the middle of the day. I probably would have put some raw BARF mince in the kongs if I had been home but today was a day working at the office so I had a friend puppy sit and he did what he had done before, even though I had talked to him about the raw food change over.

do you you think that is enough food for a growing pup - they weighed 9kg last Sat and they are Springer spaniels

Hubby was doubtful about giving them chicken wings, he was convinced they were going to choke!! But of course they did not.

Are there any guidelines for how much they should be getting.

I want to get them a meaty bone tomorrow so where is best to get them, the pet shop up the road sells mince and bones (not BARFfood though)

less poo already, very impressed LOL hoping it will help with itchy skin and stop them getting dog breath.

Great info - Great photos, very healthy looking pups

Karen
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I'm also still learning, so I'm afraid I can't answer all your questions but I'm sure the experts will reply shortly.

In the meantime you can read through this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5321 \
It's a very long thread, but I doubt you'll have to read through the whole thing. Also somewhere in there is menus with breakfast and dinner; and there are recipies for veggie mix, so maybe it'll help to make a note of that somewhere.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

When you compare feeding raw to feeding kibble (at least in my experience) it appears as though you are feeding them way less (so you feel like it's "not enough"), but I think that's because just about all they're eating becomes digestable and usable. There's no fillers in a chicken wing like their is in kibble. It's also a little bit of guess and check. Keep feeding the dog like you're feeding it now, if it loses weight, up the food. If it gains weight, drop the food (you can decrease the meat and increase the veg if you're worried dog will "go hungry").

I fed my adult mini-weenies (they're both around 8 pounds--maybe a little less since I think they could both stand to gain a pound) a chicken wing and veggie cube in the morning and evening. If we had something "bigger" like a chicken leg, or a big pork rib or big oxtail or whatever they'd get a veggie cube in the morning and the bigger meat in the evening (we had the time to supervise the bigger rmb consumption in the evening--my dogs can inhale a chicken wing in less than two minutes). My year old beagle (who's around 30 pounds) at two wings and two veggie cubes, if we had a "big rmb" he'd have the chicken wings in the morning and the rmb at night with his veggie cubes. Really they should eat more than just chicken wings--it was just kind of our go-to "they gotta eat quick" thing, like pb&j is for kids. They did eat more than chicken wings, but they ate those most often.

Emmabeth and Nettle and Mattie (I hope I didn't forget anyone) would be the ones to really give you good advice on the food.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As a rough and ready guide, give a piece of meat/meat & veg/meaty bone mix the size of the dog's head for an adult (that's head not head and snout) and about twice that for a pup, per meal.

If they get fat it's too much
If they get thin it isn't enough

Springer pups could probably manage 3 chicken wings for a meal.