Getting my GSD to drink water!

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BaggyTrousers

Getting my GSD to drink water!

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am having great difficult getting my 11 week old GSD to drink water - every time I put her bowl down, she takes a few laps then lifts and tips the rest out, an amazing feat when you see the size of the bowl! She starts by growling at it, then washing her feet in it before flinging it across the floor. It sounds amusing but I am concerned she is not getting enough fluid as she is on a dry food diet.
Fundog

Re: Getting my GSD to drink water!

Post by Fundog »

She's just playing and experimenting-- having "science class," lol. Try soaking her dry food in a half cup or so of water for about 20 minutes before feeding, and that will ensure she gets enough fluid. It will also help her to feel full and satiated, since water adds bulk to the food.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
BaggyTrousers

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try!
monib1969

Post by monib1969 »

There is an absolutely awesome product called the "Road Refresher" no spill bowl. It is a water dish that has a "tray" that floats in the bowl and allows only a little bit of water in at a time. when the dog licks he gets just a little bit at a time, not enough for him to play in.

If he REALLY paws at it hard, it also comes with velcro to attach it to the floor so he can't move it. Since he is a GSD and if he is super duper tough on it or likes to move the bowl around you may want to get stronger velcro from the hardware store, as the velcro that comes with it is the thin generic kind. But this bowl is fantastic. They cannot spill water, if they slobber alot and are messy drinkers this catches the spills that go out onto the floor with traditional bowls, and there is not enough water for them paw at or start to play with. Plus if you travel with him this can be filled with water and kept full with water even when driving. I'm suprised there hasn't been one of those annoying infomercials on this bowl, :lol: It's just that great!!
BaggyTrousers

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yet again thanks for the advice. If this Road Refresher is as good as you say, i'll get one - the cermaic bowl she's got at the moment has just been hurtled across the floor, bless her!. I'm just putting my wellies on to mop up the water!!
josh24

Post by josh24 »

I drink water after eat 2 to 3 glasses so that to prevent a infection
and away to desease. . thanks for the given info. that ive been read. .

make money online
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I would use a smaller bowl and let my dog experiment, like children they learn a lot by trying.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]