Switching from 3 to 2 meals a day

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emilysouthwest

Switching from 3 to 2 meals a day

Post by emilysouthwest »

Hi, I have a 5 3/4-month Samoyed puppy who seems to have a smaller appetite during the day. She will eat, but does not seem quite as hungry as she has been in the past. I did consult the vet to make sure that she isn't ill, but the vet didn't think there is anything to worry about as she is still very perky and energetic.

I am also switching her to a new food right now, so it is possible that she doesn't like the new food (though she will eat it as readily as she eats the old food, if not more readily, when I hold it out to her in my hand).

Anyway, I am wondering if her adult appetite isn't starting to set in a bit, and if therefore, it would be better to start moving her towards two meals a day instead of the three she gets now. Is she old enough to be switched to two feeding times? I've read different opinions on the right age to switch a puppy's feeding schedule. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Emily
Emily