vomiting

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

G8valve

Re: vomiting

Post by G8valve »

Sounds so much like vomiting bile because he's hungry.

One of the reasons vets don't like raw feeding is because of the huge quantity of food dogs to need to eat need to get all the nutrition they should and owners generally don't do it properly. Buying prepared raw is better because it is easier to give them the right quantity.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

G8valve wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 am One of the reasons vets don't like raw feeding is because of the huge quantity of food dogs to need to eat need to get all the nutrition they should and owners generally don't do it properly. Buying prepared raw is better because it is easier to give them the right quantity.
As far as I'm aware, the feeding guidelines for prepared raw are the same as for non-prepared raw - and if anything, the recommended amount is less than for a prepared wet food.

If you follow the basic guidelines for raw feeding it's really not hard to make sure your dog gets all he needs, just as it's easy for humans to eat a balanced diet without needing experts to plan their meals.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Yeah im just puzzled because it's taking me feeding bax 8% of his body weight in muscle/organ/bone (not counting the veggies and pumpkin) to keep weight on him. I thought the rule was supposed to be like.... a quarter of that. I know we talked about how he's anxious and high energy so he needs more but YEESH bax is a bottomless pit :shock:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Smaller dogs also usually need a higher percentage than large dogs.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Ari_RR wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:24 am Yeah.. vegetables he loves and gets.
The grass though - it doesn't seem that it even gets digested, and the vomiting seems painful for him, so my intent is to spare him the discomfort.
Is this misguided?
Could it be that his intent is to vomit? in which case I don't want to interfere..
It's a tricky one, Ari, and as I'm not on the spot and can't see, I'd hesitate to suggest you do anything differently. He's your dog, you know him well, and your intention is to spare him distress. When my dogs do a grass-vomit, it's easy and over with, and they are not bothered, and it doesn't happen often. So for Ari, as he's already having lots of veg., it don't seem broke so no need to fix it. Carry on as you are and maybe try him with more greens, see if he targets the grass less.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
G8valve

Post by G8valve »

Sorry Ari I don't know how old your dog is, up to the age of 1-1/2 they could need up to 10% of their weight.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

G8valve wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 am Sorry Ari I don't know how old your dog is, up to the age of 1-1/2 they could need up to 10% of their weight.
i think you're talking to me maybe? and Bax is 4 years old =)
G8valve

Post by G8valve »

Shalista wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am
G8valve wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 am Sorry Ari I don't know how old your dog is, up to the age of 1-1/2 they could need up to 10% of their weight.
i think you're talking to me maybe? and Bax is 4 years old =)
Oooops sorry, so hmmm he shouldn't need 10%
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i do think there's something wrong with bax's gut and i think he's had it a long time. you may recall that when he was a pup he was taken to the vet for pooping a river of blood on christmas eve. they put him on prescription kibble and the blood got fixed but he had really mucusy poos. now hes on raw and he's still occasionally got these fits where he eats grass like he's dying. today at 11:35 am he barfed foam and bile on our floor despite me giving him 8% of his body weight in muscle and an additional half cup of greens and heaping tablespoon of pumpkin puree. an hour after that he started whining like he had to pee. i took him out and he dived on the grass like he was starving. I said 'what the heck its nice out' and took him to our coral and let him free range on the grass. he ate continuously for fifteen min straight before the bugs got to me and i had to bring him in. (bax is not a nibbler, it's either on or off, he's either devouring grass like he's dying or he completely ignores it)

like am i crazy? is something going on with his gut? his stools look...fairly normal? his coat is glossy, eyes shiny... but he wont stop vomiting and he keeps like devouring grass..... (which i dont mind but i feel like its a symptom of something else... hes not feeling well? hes missing a vitamin?)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

What tests has he had done, and how long ago?

Also - how long now till you move out and go to live in a new area? I'm thinking this might be a good opportunity to find a new vet who is more supportive of raw feeding, and also you'll be walking Bax in different areas, maybe with less grass, or shorter, less tasty grass... This might indicate whether this is a digestive need or a habit/compulsion.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

he had a huge full workup not to long ago, no stool sample but the WHOLE blood thing. they encourage it once a year for heartworm testing and you can pay extra to get like everything else done at the same time to.

and moving out has been temporarily put on hold. i turned down the job offer because i fell in love with a different area of my field... but the new area is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to get into.... so im hunting =(
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

also thinking more about something being chronically wrong? hes STILL not potty trained. ive had him for 3 yrs and i take him out to potty every 2 hrs at the latest and hes actually gotten WORSE. he potties inside his "crate" room now.

and before you ask yes, ive tried taking him out every 10-15 min and he still had accidents in the house.

ki hasnt been down here in months and he hasnt gone upstairs in months so its not territorial.

his pottying in the house was CURED and then he started vomiting bile and eating grass and now hes pottying inside again.....
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

the internet tells me that one of the causes of bile vomiting is "At times, a chronic irritation of the dog's intestinal tract may trigger irritable bowel disease which may lead to bile vomiting. In this case, the solution may be as simple as switching to higher quality diet free of grains, fillers and by-products"....................... which is why i switched him to raw in the first place. so this MAY be still a continuous irritation that he's had for literally forever.

as far as his bowels its hard to tell, i feed him a lot of bone so that may just be gluing otherwise super loose stool together. if i go a couple days without feeding him a thigh bone it basically turns to tar.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

which doesnt answer my problem with PEEING but is certainly interesting...
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Assuming you think your own vet has run out of ideas, I think in your place I'd get a stool sample checked for EVERYTHING and if that didn't show up, I'd be trying to find recommendations for a new vet for some fresh ideas.

Has he been checked for a uti?