Poppy's picnic?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Poppy's picnic?

Post by ZaraD »

Hi all

My mom has decided to go raw but she only likes the look of this company,.

https://poppyspicnic.co.uk/product/chicken-and-bone/

What do you think do they look good?
JudyN

Re: Poppy's picnic?

Post by JudyN »

They look good :D Probably not particularly cheap but that's not the top priority for everyone.

The only downsides I can see are (1) it would be much better to include whole bones (chicken carcasses/wings, lamb ribs, etc.) to benefit the dog's teeth and (2) different dogs need different balances of meat/offal/bone and with a complete meal this could be harder to adjust. But this could be adjusted by adding in the whole bones if more bone was needed, giving the occasional offal-free meal if there was too much offal, and so on & so forth.

I'd also add in the occasional fish meal, e.g. tin of sardines.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Hi JudyN

Thanks for your advice. She was going to feed there food four days a week and was going to feed meaty bone meal like lamb ribs twice a week. This would be for morning only as in the evening she will be making the meals herself. For example she ( my mom) has salmon on Mondays and she has 4 filliets in one bag so tow would be for the dog so there's no extra cost to my mom as the evening meals she will already have brought as part of her weekly shop. In other words what my mom has in the evening her dog will to. And the evening meals would be salmon twice a week, chicken twice a week, lamb and beef once a week. With either veggies and sweet potato or butternut squash. So he would only get offal the four morning meals that he would get poppy picnic The bone meals and all evening meals would have no offal. Here's an easy way to see what he would be fed.

Monday morning: poppy's picnic
Monday Evening: salmon fillet with butternut squash and veg

Tuesday morning: poppy's picnic
Tuesday evening: chicken breast fillet with sweet potato and veggies

Wednesday : lamb bones or other meaty bone with berries
Wednesday evening: salmon fillet with veggies

Thursday morning: poppy picnic
Thursday evening: lamb chop or lamb steak with pumpkin and veggies

Friday morning: poppy's picnic
Friday evening: sardines with veggies

Saturday morning: lamb bones with berries
Saturday evening: sirloin steak with sweet potato and veggies

Sunday morning: scrambled egg with berries and pumpkin ( her dog loves egg)
Sunday evening: Sunday roast , without the gravy or Yorkshire puddings.

How many lamb bones do you think one dog would need? One small dog and one large dog ( large dog weighs 55kg) large dog is my friends dog who is new to raw also.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:10 amHow many lamb bones do you think one dog would need? One small dog and one large dog ( large dog weighs 55kg) large dog is my friends dog who is new to raw also.
Depends on the overall balance - they should have around 10% bone by weight in total (discounting fruit & veg), regardless of whether it's ground or not. Beyond that I can't really say - Jasper isn't great at digesting bone so he only has chicken carcasses (he has one a day plus mince).
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Hi

Is it ok to feed fish three times a week?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 am Is it ok to feed fish three times a week?
Again, it depends on the balance - in the menu you've given the fish is only in one meal on each of the three days, which is different to having nothing but fish on 1.5 days a week. I'm not an expert (which is why I didn't reply in your other thread) but my feeling is that would be absolutely fine. Some reputedly good quality complete dry dog foods are fish-based, so the dog would be having a lot more fish overall than what your mum's planning.