Elderly cat

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Elderly cat

Post by JudyN »

I just typed a long post but the new security measures ate it, so I'll make this one briefer...

My cat is 19, increasingly frail, and won't be around for ever. Assuming I get the vet to come to the house to do the deed, should I show Jasper the body after? (I'm planning to get OH to take him for a walk while the vet is here.) Is there a possibility J will think I'm now finally letting him 'play' with M, or could he react in any other undesirable way, given his fragile brain? Will it really help him understand what has happened and make it easier for him, or would it be no more stressful to let him sniff round the cat's 'special' area, wonder where he is, and gradually forget him? He might even be able to understand 'Pussy cat all gone' on some level...

And is he likely to be freaked by the smell of the vet in the house and even link it to the cat's disappearance?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Elderly cat

Post by Nettle »

Given J's "special relationship" with the cat (ahem) I'd have him out when the deed is done. It's not the same as a dog he is attached to, and he may well want to eat the cat (at last you have taken the hint). The smells from the vet's treatment may well make J a bit reactive too, so IMO it's best he has the unsettled time without a stranger in the house. Plus he'll be nice and relaxed from his walk.

I can't remember if he responds to the pheromone plug-in, but would be an idea to have one on the go if he does.

And HUGS to you - you are parting with a dear old friend and still finding the time to think of others.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Actually, he loves Monty, it's just it's not reciprocated. Partly because Monty has never stood up to him and it was almost impossible to stop him chasing him when he was a pup - and because sometimes he wants to play lurcher-style :roll: If he does get to Monty before Monty can slip behind his defences, he'll wag his tail and sniff & greet him nicely, but sometimes play-bow, plonk a paw on his back, and even gently wrap his jaws around him... I trust him 100% in this situation, but as you can imagine, Monty doesn't appreciate it one bit :lol: He also gets quite upset when I take Monty to the vet.

But just because he wouldn't want to eat a live Monty, he could view a dead Monty completely differently.

The pheromone is a good idea. I've not used one for years but it did seem to take the edge of his hyperness when he was a pup.

I'm not feeling too bad about M's decline - he's reached a fantastic age given that he's a 'posh' breed (Birman with a splash of Longhair) and the vet has confirmed he's not in any pain - there's no arthritis, just muscle weakness which means he could fall over in a light breeze. So he's quite content - apart from when the big ugly monster sticks his nose into his fur and tells him how much he lurves him and would he like to play? :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had a rethink after chatting to OH last night - he pointed out that if we're in no hurry to clear out the 'cat stuff' from the airing cupboard and allow J access to it, it could be days before he realises M isn't around any more. Hopefully it will dawn on him so gradually that he won't really notice. It also means he shouldn't connect M's disappearance with the smell of the vet in the house.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I sort of think in your shoes, I would.. because Jasper is a sensitive flower and does really like the cat, is there a risk hes going to look for him?

I think I'd pop a muzzle on and let him sniff the body but be prepared with some heavy duty distraction material should Jasper assume this is a new chew toy (like, roast a whole chicken with some garlic, shred it and be ready to lob it at him!)..

You gotta do what you are happy with though, I think theres risks either way tbh!

Gentle snuggles to ancient pusscat!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

emmabeth wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:01 pmis there a risk hes going to look for him?
He might, but I can't imagine he'd look further than the confines of the house - M does sometimes go outside and into next door to look at the fish in their pond but it's pretty rare.

Hopefully there's be plenty of time to decide - M managed to get up the stairs quite quickly yesterday when he thought J might break his stay and follow him up :lol: