Well it IS raw

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Well it IS raw

Post by Shalista »

So i was feeding my corn snake her weekly frozen feeder mouse dinner and i was wondering....

Is there any reason i shouldn't buy whole frozen feeder mice to feed to Bax as a snack? They're tank grown so they wouldn't have any parasites to worry about. they'd be fun for him to toss around and crunch on.

my concerns are:
I can't skin them so he'd be eating fur (is that a bad thing?)
i cant gut them so he'd be eating ALL the organs (again, this is bad?)

I mean it's as raw as it gets, it could be a fun crunchy snack for him.... thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Well it IS raw

Post by Nettle »

Won't do him any harm at all. They eat the whole crittur if they catch one out of doors.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

There are plenty of people who say fur is good and helps "clean out" the digestive tract. No idea if there's any scientific support to this, but I've never seen anyone suggest that fur is harmful to eat.

You might have difficulty getting him to eat them at first. You may have to "start" them for him by cutting it open a bit, so he smells the more familiar muscle meat. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

You might have difficulty getting him to eat them at first. You may have to "start" them for him by cutting it open a bit, so he smells the more familiar muscle meat
Oh good point! he's thrown around a vole before and killed that rat but he wasn't to interested in eating them. hmmmm i might let it thaw to just so it's smellier for him. he eats his dinners frozen but a thawed mouse might smell better than a frozen one.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I used to have cornsnakes and at one point had so many that breeding my own mice was the better option - and yes, certain dogs LOVED a mouse-popsicle, frozen mouse-crunchies..... or warm freshly killed mouse even.

A certain dreadful old lurcher did once catch two baby mice that had done a bunk but weirdly, though he killed them (i think shock though, not him actively doing it) he mainly wanted to carry around and lick these soggy little things! And guard them from the others of course!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Good to know it's been done before. I thought it was a really good idea but i haven't read ANYTHING about anyone else doing it so i wanted to make sure i wasn't accidentally poisoning my dog :lol:

EDIT: gave him one frozen and he sniffed it but kept looking at me like he had no clue what to do with it. I went to grab my phone to take a pic of him and by the time i came back he was licking his chops and sniffing around for more. I guess frozen mice are a hit! :wink: