Fence or no fence?

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Famousrae

Fence or no fence?

Post by Famousrae »

I had a chihuahua for 7 years. He passed Dec 2015 and I was devastated. I am finally in a place where I am looking to adopt another chihuahua. We have never had a fenced yard but I am finding out almost all place require a fence... for a chihuahua?? Is this normal? Was I a mean mommy for not having a fenced yard? What are your thoughts? Is a fenced yard truly needed for a 4-8lb dog?? We do have a dog park close to our house and we also walked our dog on a leash. I want to adopt from a rescue shelter but they seem to be super strict.
JudyN

Re: Fence or no fence?

Post by JudyN »

I'm assuming you mean that you wouldn't let your dog out in your yard offlead, rather than letting him out in an unfenced yard - is that right?
I think any dog can be kept without a garden/yard (I'm in the UK so 'yard' sounds odd to me!). You just need to be prepared to meet the dog's exercise and toileting needs in other ways.

Ideally any dog would get some offlead time each day, and should certainly be walked in areas where they can sniff in the verges at their own speed, but a busy dog park may not be a good environment for such a small dog.

Good rescues will be very careful about who they rehome their dogs with. Some have blanket rules, but these have probably been adopted because they've had experience of dogs going to homes with no or unfenced gardens and then found the dog was either not getting enough exercise, hadn't been housetrained, or had been let out in the garden and escaped. Many rescues will be flexible, but you will have to convince them that you will be a good home for the dog. Maybe you could volunteer to help at a rescue so they can get to know and trust you?

Alternatively, would it be possible to erect a fence?

Good luck with finding your new pup :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fence. Always. A dog behind a fence is a safe dog. It only takes someone else being careless and your dog is in danger.

If you can't fence the whole yard, fence part of it. It isn't just about what can get out, but also what can get in and attack your dog or tempt him/her to stray.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I would always have a fence, regardless of breed. They provide safety for your pet and convenience for you. It is so much easier to just open the door and let your dog out into the yard for exercise and potty breaks when you don't have to worry about harnesses, leashes, etc. And as Nettle said, it's not just about keeping your dog in and safe, it's equally about keeping other dogs out.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11